• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents, don't you just love 'em ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents, don't you just love 'em ...

My agent doesn't get paid until his contractors submit their time sheets.

He rang yesterday:

Agent: "You must fill in your time sheet for November as soon as the month ends, to make sure you get paid. It would be criminal for you not to be paid, and I won't stand for that."
    Me: "Okay".

Agent hangs up. A few seconds later agent rings again:

Agent: "You haven't sent me invoices for September and October".
    Me: "Yes I have. I sent them to you many weeks ago."
    Agent: "Oh yes, so you did. I'll send them to accounts."

I refrained from calling him a useless lazy lying tosser. It seemed inappropriate since I am negotiating a rate rise for renewal.

Fungus.

You sound too uptight - learn how to cut slack to people.

Comment

Ignore that tulipe advice from atw. Rage and swear and chuck things about. I always do.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

When agents chase after timesheets like that it always makes me think they're about to go under. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I've been wrong so far.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
          When agents chase after timesheets like that it always makes me think they're about to go under. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I've been wrong so far.
          *thinks*
          Actually you might have a point there...only time i ever had a agency chase me for time sheets and invoices was a agency that folded just about 2.5 months later

Comment

Well I just found out I have an enforced holiday between the 15th December and 9th January - the client was amazed that the agency didnt tell me that all contractors are offsite for that period and most permies ... sigh...

Perfect time to line up some interviews for a new contract.
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

does anybody read the title?

Originally posted by mcquiggd
              Well I just found out I have an enforced holiday between the 15th December and 9th January.
              Surely it's voluntary? If it's not in your contract....

Comment

No, its NOT in the contract - im contracted until March 31st for 35 hours a week excluding public holidays. I only found out about this forced break yesterday (second day in the job). The manager in charge had a chat with me today and was suprised that the agency hadnt told me.... as the existing contractors on the site were all informed prior to their renewals - basically I was shafted by MSB to get me to sign.

My first thought was to wait until I get paid for the three weeks I will have worked, and then send the agency a christmas card and go elsewhere, as it will cost me thousands. The agent gave me the usual 'oh didnt Dan tell you? hes on holiday at the moment...'

Other agents have been calling me about jobs locally too, so Ill have to consider my options. I dont like bailing on a client - and who knows if I work for a third party I might end up dealing with them... the contract states 'no notice period', but if they dont provide me with work, im not sure where the legalities stand - who would be in breach first...?

There are some permie positions locally which would work out a better proposition at the moment as well, but most tend to be software houses and I dont want to be on bad terms with THEIR potential clients...

Well, you live and learn....
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

My more reasoned reaction, having let off steam and had a nice cup of tea, is to spend the two extra weeks romancing my young lady, and brushing up on my .Net 2.... I refreshed my VB.Net skills in the last week at least.
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

But you do realise that such a level of D&C by your client has wedged you even more firmly inside the IR35-caught wastebin? Never mind - next time, you tell them you're not coming in: contractors don't do holidays...

And just for fun, read your contract and find out where it says the client will be reducing your time by this amount: if it's not there, you should be billing MSB for your time - or suing them for misrepresentation.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X