• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taxman killing competition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxman killing competition

Agent called and said that a contract at a bank can only be done 'on payroll' because they've had a visit from the taxman and the role is not for a predefined project; that means effectively that I would earn half my rate and have no means to subtract business costs from tax. I know this is going on all over the EU now, and it's f**&*(^(*king scandalous. Effectively the tax authorities are impeding competition by ensuring the job's only profitable for people who live nextdoor to clientco; this is supposed to be 'free trade and competition'.

FFS. FFS, FFS!

I chatted with a guy from East Germany at the weekend and he told me 'what's going on in the EU now is what we spent 44 years fighting against in eastern Europe'.

F*&(&*(&*(ing communists.

If Crap Gemini or Logicack do the job they can keep the full amount of dosh and spend it as their business sees fit, but my business can't do that because it's a small business and doesn't have huge white elephant offices and cushy government contracts. WTF?

I am becoming a euroskeptic.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 24 November 2009, 13:38.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

I've just been on a call to discuss part of the contract for my next project and one of the paragraphs is a small white lie. It states that I am basically an employee of the company for a fixed period because the end client won't use freelancers supplied by them. I have had to do this various times before and it doesn't really worry me as I still change the same rate.

(This project is pretty good as its only 5 mins walking from my front door even though its not really my skillset which is why I'm downloading the software and manuals as I type to get up to some speed.)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

It is indeed the EUUSSR. Without enforced checks and controls on leaders dictatorship is inevitable.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

There's all sorts of funny rules going on with banks and headcounts etc at the moment due to deals done with the FSA and banks disguising contractors via various 'managed services' schemes. This sounds like one such scheme.
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          It is indeed the EUUSSR. Without enforced checks and controls on leaders dictatorship is inevitable.
          I'm not HP about this. OK, so I've set up a one man business to get the tax benefits of not using the social security system. I do that because I'm not some useless layabout flipwit with no education; I employ myself, insure myself andin case I have no work I've been sensible enough to build up a savings account (the interest upon which is f***ing taxed) instead of borrowing 6 times my income to buy a SUV I can't afford. In short, I DON'T NEED YOUR BLOODY SOCIAL SECURITY SYSTEM! If it was any good, i.e. good bespoke insurance at competitive rates, I wouldn't have opted out. First the politicos make an inefficient stalinist mess of social security, then start terrorising anyone who opts out.

Comment

"Taxman killing competition"

Where do I enter?

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
              There's all sorts of funny rules going on with banks and headcounts etc at the moment due to deals done with the FSA and banks disguising contractors via various 'managed services' schemes. This sounds like one such scheme.
              Oh they're involved as well. The FSA. Fat lot of good they were, so now they're going to busy themselves with stuff that's completely irrelevant to proper banking practise.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                "Taxman killing competition"

Where do I enter?

I'm already on the run for that.

Message for Hector: (<- bye bye, not hello sailor),
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

NEWS. I asked agent if I can do the job as employee of family's Ltd in Britain. This LTD has 5 employees. Agent says 'no, were not allowed to do business with a British LTD.' Why, I asked, seeing as Holland and UK are both EUSSR member states and surely 'free trade' rules apply?

Agent says 'it's just not allowed' and quotes tax laws bla bla bla.

Well that would be quite big news if it was true, seeing as Britain exports over 17bn worth of goods and services to the Netherlands each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    NEWS. I asked agent if I can do the job as employee of family's Ltd in Britain. This LTD has 5 employees. Agent says 'no, were not allowed to do business with a British LTD.' Why, I asked, seeing as Holland and UK are both EUSSR member states and surely 'free trade' rules apply?

Agent says 'it's just not allowed' and quotes tax laws bla bla bla.

Well that would be quite big news if it was true, seeing as Britain exports over 17bn worth of goods and services to the Netherlands each year.
                    Presumably agency want you on 'their' payroll?
                    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
                    X