• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT in Europe has had it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT in Europe has had it

Or am I being too negative?

We have numpty agents who've BJ'd their way onto the 'preferred suppler list' of clientcos and know nothing about the people they're trading, clientco 'purchasing departments' who know less than nothing about less than anything, EU tax regulations getting in the way of small, competitive business initiatives which survive on delivering to the client what he wants, where and when he wants it, and now IBM Europe have announced they're ending 'flexible working' and 'working from home' because their 19th century management practises can't cope with it.

Given these miserable circumstances, does European IT have any chance whatsoever of remaining competitive? Can we hope to do anything innovative that can actually sustain our economies?

Or are we royally fuqqed? Is it time to just give up and do something else before European IT goes the same way as British shipbuilding, iron and steel, coalmining etc, i.e. down the pan never to return?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Yeps, it's time to get out.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I think you need to retitle that to:

Dutch IT has had it.

I don't think anything has changed. There are no EU tax regulations except on VAT.

I'm not quite sure about this homeworking, but in Switzerland you can only do homeworking of your home is in Switzerland.

That's fairly normal, just tax authorities making sure they can plug billions pound black holes.

The Germans wouldn't countenance that because they like to play around with their tax system and make it enormously complicated.

All EU countries have bilateral agreements on tax.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 24 November 2009, 15:54.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

IT is moving east, both within and without of Europe. A lot of outsourcing work is actually going to places like Rumania and Bosnia.
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

...and Rumania is in the EU.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            and now IBM Europe have announced they're ending 'flexible working' and 'working from home' because their 19th century management practises can't cope with it.
            Link please ?

Comment

IT in Europe hasn't had it.

IT in Europe for the small business / independent contractor has nearly had it. Time to think of a plan B.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                IT in Europe hasn't had it.

IT in Europe for the small business / independent contractor has nearly had it. Time to think of a plan B.
                Isn't it small businesses and independent contractors that lubricate the machinery of the big dinosaurs ?

Kill off the small businesses and the big ones will die their own death. I already have the impression that most big IT firms in Europe are propped up by government contracts but don't really produce anything very competitive.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

My client co has got rid of all the contractors except me (in my area) at the mo as I'm the only one left doing chargeable work.

As soon as folk start buying universal banking systems again, they will be after some more contractors...
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    As soon as folk start buying universal banking systems again, they will be after some more contractors...
                    Well, if/when they break up the banks, there be some potential demand.

Also, Tesco signed a deal the other day, but that was with a septic firm that outsources all it's global stuff to India.

So maybe it's time to dust off Plan B.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X