• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Borders are down.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Borders are down.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8376394.stm
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Mrs T got an email lastnight saying they were about to go under within 24hours.

Comment

Mrs Jeebo bought £50 worth of book tokens from them yesterday!

Comment

They have already closed some of their stores, can't be long for the rest.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Borders are down.

Have been since 1997.

Comment

Shame, I used to like going in there to read their books. Still Waterstone's may be just as good. Hope they keep the comfy chairs.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Shame, I used to like going in there to read their books. Still Waterstone's may be just as good. Hope they keep the comfy chairs.
              I quite liked Borders but you can see why they're in the sticky brown stuff. Can't earn much from the trendy student/grad set who'd spend an hour reading a book (which they didn't buy) before heading off for a flappycruppocino in the coffee shop. Most folk would tend to buy books/CDs via Amazon or even Tesco.

This country is getting worse day after day. I may simply stop leaving home at all.
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Shop rents and business rates in the UK are scandalous. This means only the stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap brigade and charity shops (who don't have to pay) get a chance on the high street.

If someone could structure a company like Borders as a charity, they'd stand in line to make an awful lot of money.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                  This country is getting worse day after day. I may simply stop leaving home at all.
                  world

It's the same everywhere, internet is killing the high street of most advanced economies. I miss it from an aesthetic viewpoint, and there's something nice about browsing through bookshelves looking for books to buy. But I can save shedloads off amazon, and by 90% of my books from it these days.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    Shop rents and business rates in the UK are scandalous. This means only the stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap brigade and charity shops (who don't have to pay) get a chance on the high street.
                    If landlords gave cheap rents to some interesting, independent shops to act as anchor tenants for the whole street, they would get more punters and better rents overall. Councils don't help either with punitive parking charges.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X