• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If the market picks up sometime

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the market picks up sometime

How do you plan to revenge the rate cuts, agent BS, unpaid overtime (see blackenedbiker's tale of woe), late payment of invoices and other tulipe we've had to put up with for the last 18 months?

Just how high can we hike the rates?

Shall we then all build up such enormous savings accounts that we can say to clientco/agent 'fuq you' as soon as the words 'rate' and 'cut' are mentioned in the same paragraph? Wouldn't you love to do that?

Or shall we all end up buying flash cars, boozing all the money away and then tulipting ourselves in glorious technicolour when the next recession comes along?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

No dodgy shenanigans. Obviously make sure you charge a sustainable rate, because it's your first duty to your present and future clients to remain in business and solvent after all. Once you've stashed away enough capital not to have to worry about short term money, you can pretty much name your price. That's what I did last time anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      How do you plan to revenge the rate cuts, agent BS, unpaid overtime (see blackenedbiker's tale of woe), late payment of invoices and other tulipe we've had to put up with for the last 18 months?

Just how high can we hike the rates?

Shall we then all build up such enormous savings accounts that we can say to clientco/agent 'fuq you' as soon as the words 'rate' and 'cut' are mentioned in the same paragraph? Wouldn't you love to do that?

Or shall we all end up buying flash cars, boozing all the money away and then tulipting ourselves in glorious technicolour when the next recession comes along?
      old timer here.

I am on the same hourly rate now, as when I started out. 35 quid an hour.

When times are good, I pick and choose and take the plummy contracts. (60 quid an hour for 2 years once) and work solid.

when times are average, I take what I can, take a few holidays.

when times are tough, I stick with the client rather than jacking it (thanks missus) and take extended holidays.

no grudges, no hard feelings, no recriminations.

its business.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Already doing it.

My effort and ethic are directly correlated to the rate on offer, I couldn't give a flying flip about my current client and I treat them with as much respect as they have shown me. I bill for 7.5 hours but rarely do more than 3-4 hours actual work.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

If/when the recover comes, you should turn work down - that'll learn 'em.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I've always done that regardless
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Or shall we all end up buying flash cars, boozing all the money away
              Nah, I'll just waste it instead
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Mich,

two things,

firstly, you said....

'Shall we then all build up such enormous savings accounts that we can say to clientco/agent 'fuq you' as soon as the words 'rate' and 'cut' are mentioned in the same paragraph? Wouldn't you love to do that?
                '

now, aren't you one of the men, whom, when I talked about and X5/X6 last week, masqueraded as being olde money and looking down on such ostentatious purchases as an X5/X6.

Yet now, you're playing the card of being skint !!!

Make your mind up.

All of your posts today have been depressing, sort yourself out man.

secondly, I have a story for you, clientco said to me, if I want to extend into next year, I have to take a rate cut, I told clientco _and_ agency, in no uncertain terms, if they want me to take a rate cut they can stick their rate cut up their backsides and it's a free-market if they want what I do delivered cheaper then they are welcome not to extend me and to go out into the market and find somebody cheaper, be my guest.

clientco then backpeddled and said there will not be a rate cut but I can only do 35 hours a week next year unless my boss requests more - I says perfecto thank you very much, that will mean for me effectively a four day week next year sorteeed more time with the family

my thoughts were, this is a market, and there are other .net contracts out there, and if I discount my work for this client then I will mess up the market, rather walk away from this client and discount to somebody totally different than discount to this client and mess up the market - same way as outlet stores sell designer stuff from collections in other countries cheaper in other countries so as not to mess up the local market

bottom line shag, is, it's all game, pecker up, get out there and do the business

All the best

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  Mich,

two things,

firstly, you said....

'Shall we then all build up such enormous savings accounts that we can say to clientco/agent 'fuq you' as soon as the words 'rate' and 'cut' are mentioned in the same paragraph? Wouldn't you love to do that?
                  '

now, aren't you one of the men, whom, when I talked about and X5/X6 last week, masqueraded as being olde money and looking down on such ostentatious purchases as an X5/X6.

Yet now, you're playing the card of being skint !!!

Make your mind up.

All of your posts today have been depressing, sort yourself out man.

secondly, I have a story for you, clientco said to me, if I want to extend into next year, I have to take a rate cut, I told clientco _and_ agency, in no uncertain terms, if they want me to take a rate cut they can stick their rate cut up their backsides and it's a free-market if they want what I do delivered cheaper then they are welcome not to extend me and to go out into the market and find somebody cheaper, be my guest.

clientco then backpeddled and said there will not be a rate cut but I can only do 35 hours a week next year unless my boss requests more - I says perfecto thank you very much, that will mean for me effectively a four day week next year sorteeed more time with the family

my thoughts were, this is a market, and there are other .net contracts out there, and if I discount my work for this client then I will mess up the market, rather walk away from this client and discount to somebody totally different than discount to this client and mess up the market - same way as outlet stores sell designer stuff from collections in other countries cheaper in other countries so as not to mess up the local market

bottom line shag, is, it's all game, pecker up, get out there and do the business

All the best

Milan.
                  4 day week = muchos holidays

same as taking one week in five, or an extra 2 months off a year.

a perfect solution to a tricky probem

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

EO,

agreed.

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X