• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone living/working in Cumbria right now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone living/working in Cumbria right now?

Must be a few contracting in Cockermouth or thereabouts? Best of luck, if so.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Must be a few contracting in Cockermouth or thereabouts? Best of luck, if so.
    Nah.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Has to be said that no matter how dire my current situation is (on the bench most of the year) at least my home is warm and dry. It takes ages before a place is habitable again after something like this. It's Grim up north...
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

So, if someone were to turn up at the riverbank one morning with a speedboat eager to profit from the market for a (n expensive) ferry service, should they be lynched or applauded?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          So, if someone were to turn up at the riverbank one morning with a speedboat eager to profit from the market for a (n expensive) ferry service, should they be lynched or applauded?
          Watch it, they're canny oop North.

http://ingeb.org/songs/ontheban.html

Comment

A guy on the radio this am from a Baily bridge company reckons it will be a week minimum before they can get a bridge up across the Derwent, maybe up to a month.
            There is one guy there who wants to cross the street to get to work, faced now with an 80 mile round trip

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

MrsB has had to make a few reassuring phone calls to her grandmother in the last couple of days. She lives up that way, but still around 80 miles from Cockermouth itself, on the other side of Morcombe bay. She is 88, gets confused sometimes, and thought all the rain in Cumbria was going to make the sea level rise and flood her house. At one point she was quite prepared to sleep in her armchair with bags packed by the door ready to be evacuated.

In fairness to her she does live on the coast, and untill the sea defenses were beefed up flooded gardens were a regular feature of the sping tides. That was 20 years ago now.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I am very impressed about the emergency train station. Who'd have thought anything could happen so fast in England anymore, what with Health & Safety committees to organise, etc.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                X