• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Primary reading set for overhaul

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: Primary reading set for overhaul

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4485062.stm

"The way children are taught to read in primary schools in England needs to be changed, says a government review. ",

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4485062.stm

"The way children are taught to read in primary schools in England needs to be changed, says a government review. ",

Milan.
    FFS, not again! WTF does the Labour Party try and instill educational reforms that feck up an entire generation? We're only just recovering from the last time.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod
      FFS, not again! WTF does the Labour Party try and instill educational reforms that feck up an entire generation? We're only just recovering from the last time.
      Errhh I beg to differ - look at current literacy rates - not good. In the private educational sector they teach using the phonics and kids there are reading well from the age of 3. Go to any state primary school and you will find kids up to 10 still struggling to read Year 1 stuff. Its about time I say.
      Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Maybe my parents were old fashioned, but they taught me to read before I went to school (the local church primary I went to was reknowned as being completely useless) by sitting and reading books with me without any fancy teaching methods. In fact, the teacher used to get some of the other kids to read with me to take the pressure off her. I stress this is more down to the extremely poor reading skills of the other kids than because I was any sort of kid genius. At that school being able to read and write your own name by the age of five put you in the top 10%.

Comment

Conversely

Originally posted by Xerxes
          Maybe my parents were old fashioned, but they taught me to read before I went to school (the local church primary I went to was reknowned as being completely useless) by sitting and reading books with me without any fancy teaching methods. In fact, the teacher used to get some of the other kids to read with me to take the pressure off her. I stress this is more down to the extremely poor reading skills of the other kids than because I was any sort of kid genius. At that school being able to read and write your own name by the age of five put you in the top 10%.
          now in any state school, being able to read and write your own name by the age of 10 puts you in the top 5%
          Why not?

Comment

This is hardly new. schools have been using synthetic phonics for years.

My son is six and he was taught with synthetic phonics - very clever I thought at the time. Now he can read any word at all.

Comment

Nothing New

True enough, a girlfriend of mine back in the late 80s was a state primary school teacher and they were using phonics. She did say that the downside was the emphasis on getting kids to be able to "read" (i.e. say out loud) any printed word was compromising to some extent the kids' understanding of what the words meant. In her opinion there were too many kids who could read the words out loud but then couldn't explain what they'd just read meant.

Comment

Originally posted by Xerxes
                True enough, a girlfriend of mine back in the late 80s was a state primary school teacher and they were using phonics. She did say that the downside was the emphasis on getting kids to be able to "read" (i.e. say out loud) any printed word was compromising to some extent the kids' understanding of what the words meant. In her opinion there were too many kids who could read the words out loud but then couldn't explain what they'd just read meant.
                Sorry, I didn't understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
                  Sorry, I didn't understand that.

Comment

Did any of you folks do the old "SRA Reading Laboratory" stuff?

It didn't just test your reading ability but your level of comprehension... Splendid stuff!

Comment

Working...
                    X