• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got this from an agent...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got this from an agent...

You guys must be sending out a lot of abuse to the nice agents ...

"The rate is on the lower side at ?250 pd but it is a
    long term project, please don't take offence by this rate - this is purely driven by the client.
    "

Yeah, honest, the rate is £250 p.d.

...but we are billing the client for £500.

Comment

yeah yeah yeah - utter bollocks.

I tried to negotiate with agency over the rate I am currently on and tried to get more as I am working in London and its bloomin expensive - but was told they didn’t have any more and the price was dictated by the customer. I had no other work so took the role.

Have since discovered the agency are giving me 2/3rds of the rate paid by the client. I have been here 6 months.

Nothing I can do about it so I've taken it on the chin, wont do business with them again and have let clientco know what was happening. Clientco have decided not to use that agency again.
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
        ... Clientco have decided not to use that agency again.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

A few days ago my CV went in for a gig in London at £450 / day with an agency I have worked through before. It all 'feels' OK.

Yesterday I got a call from another agent about the same gig: £275 / day "That's all the client will pay". I declined; he emailed me half an hour later "I have spoken to my manager; they can do £300 / day". I assume this bloke worked for a car dealership ("I'll have to speak to my manager about that...") before he started work at <changed my mind, maybe I'll put that name back later>.

I may be scum, but at least I'm not a habitual liar.
          Last edited by RichardCranium; 25 November 2009, 10:23.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I know the role that i was emailed about, I did it last year for £450 a day ... cheeky mares...

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              my CV went in for a gig at £450 / day.

Yesterday I got a call from another agent about the same gig: £275 / day "That's all the client will pay". I declined; he emailed me half an hour later "I have spoken to my manager; they can do £300 / day".
              And I have just been told I have a telehone interview for the role through the first agency paying £450 / day.

So, if the client is paying £500 / day, the second agent was planning to get 45% of that. Had the first agent never contacted me, I would have reluctantly gone for it at £300 / day leaving the agent 40%.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Those boys do try it on don't they. On my last 3 contracts I have had three different attempts to try it on:

1. Oh that rate was inclusive of VAT
                2. Oh my colleague made a mistake, the rate is less
                3. Oh didnt I mention it is a 40 hour week not 35?

In each case I have given them a string of abuse down phone and said I'll pass, guessing they are trying to increase margin and each time they have come back and said 'My managers not happy but we'll do it'.

if we were in their shoes we'd be doing the same I guess.

Comment

jeez this again....

1 - agents are in business to make money
                  2 - they will screw you as much as they can
                  3 - if you don't like it, don't take the contract, they will find someone else.
                  4 - yes, it sucks.

rinse repeat.

Comment

Do any of you ever have sex with an agent? Even out of spite?

Comment

Working...
                    X