• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MSN - are you blocked or open?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSN - are you blocked or open?

I've noticed that a number of posters have 'contact via MSN' turned on.

I'm also on MSN but my setting on there is 'allow only contacts to send messages, block all others'.

Are there problems to changing this status?
    Me? I'm more blocked than SY01, me...
    50.00%
    I'm open to the world baby!
    0.00%
    I'm AndyW - does MSN come with friends too?
    50.00%
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I've noticed that a number of posters have 'contact via MSN' turned on.

I'm also on MSN but my setting on there is 'allow only contacts to send messages, block all others'.

Are there problems to changing this status?
    There is some spam, maybe once a month some spam bot will tell me it's horny and to click the link for a webcam
    but I've never had a real problem

It might depend on how public your email address is

Skype is 1000 times worse than MSN in my experience
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

never used MSN
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Skype was really bad a couple of months ago but they seem to have fixed it. I haven't had any hot sexy desperate chicks contact me for ages now .

I've never used MSN though.

Comment

i loathe msn

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
            i loathe msn
            Any reasons?

I quite like it, you can turn off all the annoying features and you're left with quite a clean chat interface

There are also a few mods around to remove the ads
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

the endless hoops and hurdles that you need to go through to get signed up drove me absolutely hopping mad.

should be a simple process but oh no - you need to sign up for this, that and half a dozen other things (none of which are of any use to man nor beast - certainly not european ones anyway). once signed up you then turn the blasted things off (not that that ever stops them popping back with the never ending updates). and then there is the extra processing that is added to the infamous windows start up procedures...

each time i've used msn i have ended up turning the damn thing off for blessed relief. i'v tried msn, icq, the yahoo one. rubbish the lot of them. wtf is email for? ah yes - communicating via the typed word.

Comment

each time i've used msn i have ended up turning the damn thing off for blessed relief. i'v tried msn, icq, the yahoo one. rubbish the lot of them. wtf is email for? ah yes - communicating via the typed word.
                Although not quite as spontaneous as video conferencing with clients...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

true but these days many clientcos have terrific real video conferencing where the typed word is not required.

though that does raise an interesting "real business" ltd co question.... if wfh and needing to present i'd do it manually (email the .ppt or the url and talk over the phone "go to page x blah, blah, blah")

now, there are video hosting companies that i've used in the past but they require software and access rights and all sorts of palaver and have always been dictated by clientco. is msn the best approach to run a ltd co video conference approach with end clients? or are there better "open source" options?

Comment

true but these days many clientcos have terrific real video conferencing where the typed word is not required.

though that does raise an interesting "real business" ltd co question.... if wfh and needing to present i'd do it manually (email the .ppt or the url and talk over the phone "go to page x blah, blah, blah")

now, there are video hosting companies that i've used in the past but they require software and access rights and all sorts of palaver and have always been dictated by clientco. is msn the best approach to run a ltd co video conference approach with end clients? or are there better "open source" options?
                    Video conferencing works for me on MSN, or Skype or Google Chat if the clients prefer...

Comment

Working...
                    X