• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Years Rip-Off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Years Rip-Off

Just saw a New Years party advertised in the window of a very ordinary pub in Altrincham 'The Fat Loaf'
    £45 per ticket.

I could buy a few crates, a bottle, some crisps and stay in to watch Jools, AND still have change. And not have to fight for a taxi home

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

we'll all be coming round then!
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Just saw a New Years party advertised in the window of a very ordinary pub in Altrincham 'The Fat Loaf'
      £45 per ticket.

I could buy a few crates, a bottle, some crisps and stay in to watch Jools, AND still have change. And not have to fight for a taxi home
      Aye. Last time we were in the country for NYE we had a barbeque and stayed in with a few friends. Good fun trying to cook sausages & drink beer under an umbrella...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Gets worse and over-hyped every year.

Going round to a mates house for some drinkies, fodder and fun for all.

It's the way forward IMHO.

Comment

Where I come from, it was a firmly held tradition that you went out to the town centre and had a fight on New Year's Eve. The funny thing was that there was absolutely no malice in it.

People would keep coming up to you and asking, fairly aggressively "Do you want a fight?" - but if you said "No thanks", they would leave you alone and wish you a happy new year as you went on your way. Most odd.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            Where I come from, it was a firmly held tradition that you went out to the town centre and had a fight on New Year's Eve. The funny thing was that there was absolutely no malice in it.

People would keep coming up to you and asking, fairly aggressively "Do you want a fight?" - but if you said "No thanks", they would leave you alone and wish you a happy new year as you went on your way. Most odd.
            Newcastle?

I was told about "Black Eye Friday" or something like it that was from round those parts.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

You could celebrate cheaper still if you made your own beer.

Comment

Hard to see how they can justify that - unless they are throwing in a decent dinner and booze. I'll be watching Jools with a glass of something nice.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Edinburgh Hogmanay for me and gf chef
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

In my early contracting years I was still in the habit of getting into places free, despite earning good money. I thought nothing of scaling a 20 foot fence to get into Thorpe park, or whatever the place off the M4 is called, for example. These days I usually pay, or more often, just avoid places that charge entry.

Comment

Working...
                    X