• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Power by Osmosis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power by Osmosis

Something I've not heard of before.. an interesting concept atleast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8377186.stm
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Nice find chef, but the idea that a molecule of sea water is bigger than a molecule of fresh water has got to be a new low in scientific journalism.

Day after day we seem to be getting these dumb articles

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

stupidest thing i've ever seen

You need 2 things for it to work
      1. Salt water
      2. A constantly renewed supply of fresh water e.g. a river

Surely it would be simpler to just stick a turbine in the fresh water supply
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I've heard of it before. It's like liberating fresh water from saltly water, which takes energy, but in reverse. You get salty water + a teensey bit of energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          stupidest thing i've ever seen
          It's a long way off the stupidest thing I've ever seen. However, I agree, it does sound impracticable.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            It's a long way off the stupidest thing I've ever seen. However, I agree, it does sound impracticable.
            The last thing I read before that was Chef's link to the daily mail article so my outraged setting was set accordingly
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

The last thing I read before that was Chef's link to the daily mail article so my outraged setting was set accordingly
              Oy, who are you accusing of reading the Daily Mail

Insults, p1ss taking and arguments are fine but insulting me like that..

I demand you retract or correct the statement

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                Oy, who are you accusing of reading the Daily Mail

Insults, p1ss taking and arguments are fine but insulting me like that..

I demand you retract or correct the statement
                **** sorry, I meant clippy
                Got distracted by work (my mistake) and then mixed up as to who had started which thread
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

**** sorry, I meant clippy
                  Got distracted by work (my mistake) and then mixed up as to who had started which thread
                  trying to smear my good name.. tsk tsk..

Comment

Another attack on the poor!

I will try and explain.

One of the problems for poor people in the world is access to decent drinking water. If these people then have to compete with power plants then they're going to end up even poorer.

Much the same way that bio-diesel is causing starvation by stealing the land to grow the raw material instead of being used for food production.

Yeah, yeah, you'll all say but this is in Norway, they have plenty of fresh water. The way the world works, some poor third world country will have to buy these fscking things in exchange for aid from the first world.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X