• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hawkwind (again)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawkwind (again)

Anyone been to see them in the last few years?

I see they're playing some gigs in early December, and I might go.

But will be be like the "good old days" of Space Rock ?

Yay! Just booked tickets for 11th December!

Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Saw Nik Turner's Space Ritual a while back at Frome Cheese & Grain(!) - basically a band of ex-Hawkwind members. Was an excellent gig & they did a lot of the late 70s Calvert era stuff which I like the most out of Hawkwind's back catalogue. Incredible they were so good as they had all their kit nicked the night before & were using borrowed stuff. Turner even had his clothes stolen & was pleading for someone in the crowd to give him a shirt, provided it was sufficiently weird of course.

Comment

Ok, I booked two tickets. Last time I saw them was >20 yrs ago !

Comment

They were rubbish 20 years ago and are still rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Ok, I booked two tickets. Last time I saw them was >20 yrs ago !
            I will admit to having seen them numerous times, interviewed them, played with ex-members and possessing in the region of 80 musical items of theirs (and related including the single with Sam Fox) but I do like this review of them:

Hawkwind
            London Brixton Academy - 1993
            ------------------------------
            "You lucky bastards! You spawny, grizzled, coffin-dodging, brain-
            frazzled old gits!" This is undoubtedly what God is thinking as he
            cringingly watches this grim spectacle through his fingers. Hawkwind
            filling Brixton Academy in 1993!

Hilfe! Hilfe! It would seem that people once more believe that singing
            about space bandits and making swirly mystic hand movements says more
            to them than just, "I was that tosser with jam-jar glasses reading
            'Forests Of Gor' at the side of you class at school - help me,
            please."

Drugs. Drugs. Drugs. Drugs. Drugs. The word kind of loses its
            significance the more you think about it, and at an event like this,
            where you're stoned, tripping, speeding and having your constipation
            suddenly cured within ten minutes of breathing the air, you can
            almost forget. But anyone with a tentative grasp of sobriety will
            soon realise what wonders chemicals have done for Hawkwind. You see,
            they are, essentially, Bryan Adams on 25 years of really bad acid.

This means they play lots of three chord pub rock chunders which
            fizzle out after two minutes, replaced by lots of spacecake keyboard
            FX sounds going 'ktikkaktikkaktikkaktikkaktikkaktikka' for another
            nine minutes. It means that instead of the songs being about feelin'
            alright on a Saturday night they're all about flying to Saturn in a
            VW van. It means the backdrop features a huge child's drawing of a
            futuristic city from a Daily Star 'What Your Town Will Look Like In
            The Year 2000' feature. It means that lead singer Dave Brock doesn't
            look a day over 134.

But you can't deny they've tried to update their act. The slightly
            fumbling fire-eaters you see at every festival on earth cavort across
            the stage during the more inexcusably tedious moments. They even play
            a couple of revamped techno-ised numbers at the end of the set; the
            same bollocks as before with an inappropriate 'Hooked On Classics'
            thumping beat behind them. Somehow, though, a nagging, moral voice
            pierces the boredom saying "Bloody hippies - string 'em up."
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I saw them 5 or 6 years ago in Oxford. I was quite disapointed really as it was more like going to a rave than a live band (not that I've ever been to a rave) : just constant pulsating electronically generated noise. They may as well have not been there. It was Dave Brock, but not sure who the others were at that stage. A bit hard to keep up with who's who in Hawkwind.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Just saw this
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

There was a man down our street when I was kid whose CB radio handle was "Hawkwind". A scary eyed bloke with long straggly hair and beard who still lived with his mum.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Tasteful

Comment

Working...
                    X