• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Faking Inexperience

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faking Inexperience

So come on, let's be honest for a little while. What was the time where you best faked inexperience and got hired and ended up doing a good job?

Come on, we are all (or we have been) contractors so you must know what I talk about. Luckily we are more clever chaps so we unlearn in a month more than what an average permie can learn in 2 years.

But would like to hear stories of how you faked working inexperience and got away with that, and indeed managed to make the project successful.

What have _you_ removed from your cv ?

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes

Milan.
    I didn't mention my 10 years experience in back-ups and replaced it with 10 years of experience in .NET.

Milan
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

ahh you're learning Franco

the road to success if paved with failures !

Milan.

Comment

Its not worth it, they'll catch you out in the end.

You may successfully get an interview by "forgetting" you learnt COBOL but all it takes is somebody to tell you a joke in EBSDIC instead of ASCII, and bingo your laugh gives it away.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
          So come on, let's be honest for a little while. What was the time where you best faked inexperience and got hired and ended up doing a good job?

Come on, we are all (or we have been) contractors so you must know what I talk about. Luckily we are more clever chaps so we unlearn in a month more than what an average permie can learn in 2 years.

But would like to hear stories of how you faked working inexperience and got away with that, and indeed managed to make the project successful.

Milan.
          I think there was some evidence of this kind of behaviour back in the late 90s when everybody was trying to jump on the luctrative, wlel it was back then, contracting bandwagon.

I recall meeting contractors on site who had completely faked their CVs and experience but without exception were exposed and disposed.

Nowadays the market is far more selective and stringent, rates are very low for newcomers so the upshot is that only the very experienced and those with, as the jargon has it , a proven track record , get the gig.

Never had to resort to any underhand cheating myself, mind you Ive been in the IT industry since 1984.

So there.

Comment

All references to permiedom.
            All references to VB, Access and other noddy things.

Now my CV reads like the inventor of .NET

Comment

Working...
            X