• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left wing - Right wing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left wing - Right wing

There was a post today about the BNP not being right wing. Just watching Andrew Marr.

Oswald Mosely was in the Labour Party.

www.politicalcompass.org
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    There was a post today about the BNP not being right wing. Just watching Andrew Marr.

www.politicalcompass.org
    There is no doubting the leftwing nature of that website, the questions are so loaded!
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

The old one-dimensional categories of 'right' and 'left', established for the seating arrangement of the French National Assembly of 1789, are overly simplistic for today's complex political landscape.

The BNP would be considered more left wing than labour - BNP wants more public ownership.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/ - previously discussed here.

Comment

Back in the 60s/70s the election leaflets in London from the National Front and Labour were indistinguishable, apart from on the obvious topic. Lots of state control and distrust of foreign corporations. I think the only distinction that always applies between left and right is about belief in the concept of nationality.

Saw Mosely interviewed once when he was an old man and he did come across as a moderate Labour party sort. Think it was ambition that fuelled the bloke in his heyday, he just said or did anything for power.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 25 November 2009, 21:54.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

www.politicalcompass.org
          I came across a similar comment on one of the UK political blogs sometime last year. The author encouraged reading the BNP manifesto to see how left wing they really were.

I got bored in about the first paragraph so didn't bother with the rest, but it's probably worth a read if you want to know exactly where they stand.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            I came across a similar comment on one of the UK political blogs sometime last year. The author encouraged reading the BNP manifesto to see how left wing they really were.
            That proves it then. Since the New Labour manifesto is always quite different from what they do, and the Conservative manifesto also was quite different from what they did, then if the BNP manifesto says they're left wing, then they must be right wing.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

www.politicalcompass.org
              HAB:
              Economic Left/Right: 5.38
              Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

Right in the middle of the bottom right quadrant.
              Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 26 November 2009, 00:18. Reason: Added link to chart
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

The Nolan chart attempts to describe a more meaningful spectrum of political behaviour, referring to economic left (state controlled) and right (liberal markets) and authoritarian (large state controlled) and libertarian (small state, more personal freedom but emphasis on personal responsibilities).

The BNP are an extremely authoritarian politic with mainly state controlled economic measures and, like the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, tend to be in the authoritarian camp with left economic tendencies. New Labour share similar left economic policies and similar authoritarian views although these are not necessarily mutually exclusive nor shared to the same degree.

However, it is common urban parlance to refer to any authoritarian policy or politic as "right wing" which in todays modern politics, is often journalistic tokenism.
                Last edited by hyperD; 26 November 2009, 00:12.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

There is no left wing or right wing.
                  There is only up wing or down wing.

- Bob Dylan, 1964

Comment

Meet the new boss
                    Same as the old boss

- The Who, 1971
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X