• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swindon leads where others follow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swindon leads where others follow

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/4487628.stm

Three Swindon students have taken the concept of the "secret Santa" to the extreme, by trying to encourage the whole town to take part.
    Jon Richards, Matt Green and Zoe Hooper have set up a website, inviting people to register as gift-givers.

Participants will be e-mailed the age and sex of a person for whom they must buy a present. In the same way, they will receive one themselves.

The trio said they were getting nothing in return but "a warm feeling inside".

To maintain anonymity, safeguard security and prevent inappropriate gifts being given, people are required to post their £3-£4 offering to the Swindon Secret Santa team, who will wrap it and deliver it by hand to the recipient.

Web experience

The idea evolved when the 18-year-olds were discussing how a large-scale secret Santa scheme might work.

Matt said: "We thought about how we might do one among ourselves, then decided to go bigger.

"And as Jon and I are both design students at Swindon College, we thought that designing a website would be a good experience."

Jon, Matt and student nurse, Zoe, are gearing up for a flurry of wrapping and delivering.

"It might take three days, but we've enlisted the help of our families," said Matt.

Thus proving Swindon is a forward thinking, modern town for the 21st century.

Due to a slight hiccough in my current plans, my secret base of operations is currently located in Swindon. Is there any possibility that 18 year old student nurse Zoe could be wrapped and delivered to me as my secret Christmas present? We Jagaroth are very admiring of your human females.

Comment

They ought to be arrested. This is an affront to anyone who is not a xmasian, and many non-xmasians will be quite offended at being excluded from the "gift exchange". They are clearly trying to spread "xmas cheer" not just locally, but throughout the world by the use of a "website". What with people "donating presents" they are obviously trying to undermine the capitalist system which has brought freedom and prosperity to the rich people in the world.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I declare Jihad on their unhloy ways!

Comment

Jihad to go and say that, didn't ja?

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          I declare Jihad on their unhloy ways!
          I shall fetch my outer garment and depart
          Why not?

Comment

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              They ought to be arrested. This is an affront to anyone who is not a xmasian, and many non-xmasians will be quite offended at being excluded from the "gift exchange". They are clearly trying to spread "xmas cheer" not just locally, but throughout the world by the use of a "website". What with people "donating presents" they are obviously trying to undermine the capitalist system which has brought freedom and prosperity to the rich people in the world.

Unacceptable.

Yet another case of blatant religous discrimination.

As remedy I suggest a six figure sum as compensation from the offending council.

Did somebody say six figure sum ?
              Jingle Bells .... Jingle Bells ....

Comment

Working...
              X