• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Broadband tax to be trippled and + vat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadband tax to be trippled and + vat

here comes the next tax...

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle6932537.ece

A controversial new £6 tax on telephone lines to fund the introduction of superfast broadband internet will leave nearly two million households paying up to three times the levy initially proposed by ministers, according to leaked government documents seen by The Times.

The plans, drawn up by Revenue & Customs, show that ministers will tax households with more than one phone line — of which there are more than 1.7 million — for each line they rent, and will also levy VAT on the charge.

coooooool

Milan.

As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Families with one telephone connection, a separate line for broadband and another for a fax would end up paying £21.15 a year, instead of the originally announced £6
      Does anyone still use Faxes?

Why do you need a separate line for da telephone and da broadband?

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        Does anyone still use Faxes?

Why do you need a separate line for da telephone and da broadband?

It's an artefact of an article written by a fsckwit.

HTH
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

stop being so miserable - it's only 6 quid and it's going to give superfast broadband to everybody - even if they don't have a computer!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

My 82 year old mum will be delighted with superfast broadband in her sheltered accommodation, once she masters the trickery of the microwave oven we bought her 2 years ago.

Comment

So they'll be adding VAT to the tax.

They've already got away with an insurance tax. When they get away with VAT on the phone tax, what other taxes will they be adding VAT to? NI? Corporation Tax? VAT?
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Presumably in Swindon everybody can dispense with their phones now that they have city wide wifi! So that would be nowt from them funny speaking folk down there.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  So they'll be adding VAT to the tax.

They've already got away with an insurance tax. When they get away with VAT on the phone tax, what other taxes will they be adding VAT to? NI? Corporation Tax? VAT?
                  You also pay VAT on the duty paid on petrol and I think, but don't quote me on this one, alcohol duty.

Bearing in mind the duty on petrol is around 50p per litre anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                    You also pay VAT on the duty paid on petrol and I think, but don't quote me on this one, alcohol duty.

Bearing in mind the duty on petrol is around 50p per litre anyhow.

The prices below give the approximate make up of a litre of petrol in the UK as of August 2007.

This breakdown of the price of petrol is based on the assumption of a £1 per litre of petrol.

•Petrol Fuel Duty - 48.35p

•VAT (17.5%) - 14.9p

•Refinery Petrol Costs - 31.75p

•Forecourt Costs - 3p

•Forecourt Profit - 2p

Read more: What makes up the cost of 1 litre of petrol?
                    http://www.whatprice.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X