• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland visa - processing time ??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switzerland visa - processing time ??

How long does it take to get an entry visa for Switzerland ? Provided that I have a job offer ?

Also , my agent wants to pay me in the UK , basically I will be contracted with a UK company and physically work at their client in Switzerland.

<sucks in teeth>

That could get messy (it did for me) - make absolutely sure that you have your work visa before turning up at the client site. It can take 6 - 8 weeks (if not longer).

Working for a Swiss MC and getting paid into a Swiss bank was much more straightforward (and safer from being thrown out of the country).
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      <sucks in teeth>

That could get messy (it did for me) - make absolutely sure that you have your work visa before turning up at the client site. It can take 6 - 8 weeks (if not longer).

Working for a Swiss MC and getting paid into a Swiss bank was much more straightforward (and safer from being thrown out of the country).
      That's what I do also! If you get paid in the UK you'll be taxed in the UK won't you?
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Several issues with what you want to do, but it depends on how long the contract is for, and where you will stay.

If it is short and you are staying in a hotel ok.

But if you rent an apartment the goverment will be informed. Local office will ask you to register with them (Cost CHF 100), also you must produce health insurance. Tax office will not be far behind.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          Several issues with what you want to do, but it depends on how long the contract is for, and where you will stay.

If it is short and you are staying in a hotel ok.

But if you rent an apartment the goverment will be informed. Local office will ask you to register with them (Cost CHF 100), also you must produce health insurance. Tax office will not be far behind.
          WSS,

Less than 3 months (with no extension planned in the future) you'll probably get away with it. But you must have health insurance for any length of time.

Do not accept agency flannel that you don't need any of this stuff. You will need it, and the cost of getting your collar felt by the Swiss police if you don't is high (sweats at the the thought of the near miss and the 3-month ban ).
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

The Swiss don't hold grudges though - as it wasn't my fault I went back after the 3-monther...

With all my papers in order that time.

Comment

thanks , really appreciate. If technically you are being paid in the UK but physically work in Swiss , you will be paying taxes only in Swiss , right ? ..... if necessary getting the agent to pay you into your Swiss account instead...

Comment

This looks more like a short term secondment, where you are payed and taxed in the UK. It is possible that you don't need a permit, doesn't sound like it. Otherwise you'll be on the payroll of an agency and then the client and your agent will make sure you have the permit, which by the way is automatic.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by newblood View Post
                  thanks , really appreciate. If technically you are being paid in the UK but physically work in Swiss , you will be paying taxes only in Swiss , right ?
                  If you are tax resident only in CH, you'll pay tax there. If you are tax resident in the UK as well - which seems likely on information so far - then you'll pay tax in both countries. But the UK deduct the amount of tax you've paid in CH from your total bill. If you're tax resident only the UK, then you'll be taxed only there.

It doesn't take long (3 weeks? not sure) to process a work permit, if you are an EU citizen. Also, if you are an EU citizen, there are no quotas for work permits.

You may find www.englishforum.ch useful.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by newblood View Post
                    thanks , really appreciate. If technically you are being paid in the UK but physically work in Swiss , you will be paying taxes only in Swiss , right ? ..... if necessary getting the agent to pay you into your Swiss account instead...
                    FFS it's called Switzerland.

If you are there longer than 3 months the simplest way is to work through a Swiss management company/agency. They will deduct social and taxes at source and you shouldn't have any worries.

With the Swiss Franc having briefly hit parity with the USD yesterday, I'd be looking to word the contract to be paid in CHF rather than Sterling.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X