• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you lie to me baby

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you lie to me baby

A position I have applied for lists two criteria for previous experience.

The main criteria, although I haven't done it, in my opinion is a peice of pee. It is to interface some standard test equipment using a standard comms protocol to a peice of software which I have used intensively. Now although I haven't used the method they have stated I have achieved the same thing another way using a slightly different method, and have told them this.

The second criteria I am experienced in - well for the last five years anyhoo if that counts.

Should I have just lied and told them I have experience of this using the method they require as I really don't see it being that difficult and could have swotted up relatively quickly and put it into practice before I was to start.

Before I am flamed I always try to be honest when applying for jobs, but just wanted to get to get a general consensus.

I tell you what - i'll even do a poll.
    Totally honest with agents and clients
    30.00%
    Bend the truth a little bit, it doesn't hurt and I can be up to speed in no time
    15.00%
    Yea gov'nor I can do that and get "xxx for dummies" on next day delivery
    10.00%
    I am a city quant dev, fly jets, arctic explorer, doctor, major, and AndyW all at the same time
    45.00%

Do the quick swotting up now and have a go at it at home. Then you won't be lying.

Comment

do what you need to do to get the job...as long as you can do the job [or at least pick it up on the hoof].

Comment

he who dares rodders.

HTH
        Last edited by Bright Spark; 26 November 2009, 14:25. Reason: changed wins to rodders :-)

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
          Do the quick swotting up now and have a go at it at home. Then you won't be lying.
          WHS. Plus choose your words carefully when stretching the truth.

Comment

By strength and guile...

Comment

"Yea gov'nor I can do that and get "xxx for dummies" on next day delivery "

If it's good enough for Bob, it's good enough for me. Except Bob would use a bootleg copy that he downloaded of Piratebay or sumfink.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
                he who dares rodders.

HTH
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You can't all be AndyW - are you telling porkies?

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                    You can't all be AndyW - are you telling porkies?
                    I'm not...

Comment

Working...
                    X