• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DVLA clamping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVLA clamping

I vaguely knew that untaxed vehicles could be clamped but hadn't realised they had clamper vans touring roads in small rural villages. Chap just up the road from me is going to have a nice surprise when he gets home.

Check your tax.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Chap just up the road from me is going to have a nice surprise when he gets home.
    Chap I know worked on their roving "crusher" teams that used to set up ANPR checkpoints.

Now that would be a bad day out if you hadn't paid your tax...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Chap I know worked on their roving "crusher" teams that used to set up ANPR checkpoints.

Now that would be a bad day out if you hadn't paid your tax...
      Until the insurance cheque arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
        Until the insurance cheque arrived.
        Pretty sure your insurance isn't valid if your vehicle is on the road and not taxed.

That said, if you're driving around without any tax on purpose, I guess you're not going to have many qualms about defrauding your insurance company either...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Pretty sure your insurance isn't valid if your vehicle is on the road and not taxed.

That said, if you're driving around without any tax on purpose, I guess you're not going to have many qualms about defrauding your insurance company either...
          What if your a few days late, does that deserve a crush!

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
            What if your a few days late, does that deserve a crush!
            Usually what happens is they impound the vehicle and give you a couple of weeks to get the tax, pay the storage charges and fixed penalty, and retrieve the vehicle. Lots of people don't bother though - presumably they just get another vehicle and don't tax that either.

There's no chance of getting away with an insurance claim either. If you actually have any insurance (i.e. the lack of tax was due to not bothering to read the reminder notices they sent you in the post rather than you just driving illegally), the insurance company will check the records at DVLA and see that it was crushed for non-payment of tax. So now you have a penalty for lack of tax, possibly a penalty for lack of insurance because it wasn't valid if the vehicle was untaxed, and a prosecution for attempted insurance fraud.

Comment

Looked on Google and there is no agreement whatever as to whether or not your insurance is invalid if you have no tax. If it doesn't say that in the policy I can't see it can be legally the case.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Clampers beware!!!
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                X