• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Naive Beliefs that have been Exploded in the Noughties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naive Beliefs that have been Exploded in the Noughties

As we approach the end of the year, I was thinking 'What has the decade meant to me?'
    Then I thought, well, it's been a year of revelations

These are some Naive Beliefs that have been destroyed for me

1. Belief. People who run companies (like bank chiefs) run them in order to maximise company profits and to ensure the company survives.

Actuality. Many of these people run the comapanies to maximise their own wealth and position

2. Belief. Scientists follow the scientific model and only a very few will allow glory, fame or greed distort their efforts.

Actuality. It now appears that a massive number of scientists, on a global scale are nothing more than venal, self serving liars and Global warming cheats.

3. Belief. The political system at Westminster is pretty tight, the only corruption is the revolving door, that allows ex-ministers to profit from their connections. Frank Field would blow the whistle if there were any othe shennanigans.

Actuality. The expenses scandal has shown us that most of them have been troughing all the time, and even the good guys did nothing to stop it

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Flip, where did that decade go. And what are they going to call the tenties?

Comment

Belief - Work hard, improve your skills, and there'll be work for you.

Actuality - ask anyone on the bench.
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Flip, where did that decade go. And what are they going to call the tenties?
        The Teenies, probably

Remember, you heard it here first...

Comment

Why couldn't we have engineered a Y2.01K problem?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            The Teenies, probably
            According to Wiki and AskOxford 'teen' corresponds to the numerals between 13 and 19, though it does derive from ten according to the latter. Teenies doesn't sound quite right either. But then again neither does tens and tenties. 2010s sounds okay, but is a bit long-winded. I wonder how they tackled this sticky problem (mod 100) years ago.

Comment

A decade ago EternalOptimist was very naïve.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
                A decade ago EternalOptimist was very naïve.
                WHS++
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  The Teenies, probably

Remember, you heard it here first...
                  no, sounds too much like the "tweenies"

"Hey Hey! What do you say! It's time to come and play with The Tweenies! Hey, hey are you ready to play! So don't you wanna play with "The Tweenies."

It must be really hot in that dog costume.

Comment

It's a good post, but I can't help feeling that it's more a question of getting older, gaining more experience and (hopefully) wisdom, rather than a product of the decade.

I remember years ago, naively thinking that banks and financial institutions would act in my best interest. Well maybe not in my best interest, but at least not actively try to screw me over.

Hahaha, how I laugh now.

Comment

Working...
                    X