• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas, Boxing Day and New Years support callout chargeable money fair ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas, Boxing Day and New Years support callout chargeable money fair ?

A list was handed out to us for extra monies permies would get for being on call practically all day for system support, for each ENTIRE day the amount is roughly £210 with hours being typically 8am-10pm.

I don't think that this is a fair amount, a permie could be called and could be there 5 hours+ trying to fix a problem with little help.

I remember 10 years ago with the Y2K bug people were being bribed £1K+ to be there over the new year.

I just think our IT industry is in decline big time in terms of earning potential and respectability.

Also lets just say that this is a financial organisation with a massive trade floor.

What do you think ?

Don't they get £210 just for being on call, then £x (per 15 mins / hour / half day) if they are called out?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

My Y2K "bonus" was £150 for going in, eating (free) breakfast, drinking a glass of champagne and then going home.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        My Y2K "bonus" was £150 for going in, eating (free) breakfast, drinking a glass of champagne and then going home.
        Old friend of mine was paid £1.5K that night not to get too drunk and keep his phone switched on. We were both pretty wasted by about 9:30
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I had to go in a couple of years ago at midnight on the 27th of December, I had had a bottle of wine and, 8 stellas and a few whiskys, Absolutely Steam boats. It took me 8 hours to fix the problem and I never answered another call from that office out of hours.

Comment

Working...
          X