• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Qt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qt

There was brave man on question time last night, he dared to suggest that the argument behind AGW was possibly wrong?

The audience seethed in disgust, one red faced woman said "how can you say that, what about Cockermouth?" They cheered.

A journo said it was a scam, a comedian said he'd been to see the polar bears and was most definitely not a scam, a politician said he didn't know.

Today world leader will meet to discuss how they can stiff us for more cash and keep this farce going.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

According to this article describing the causes:

Sea temperatures in this source region were some 2°C to 3°C above the November average, enhancing the potential absorption of moisture by the airstream. This is the only aspect of the downpour which climate change may have contributed to, but it should also be said that large parts of the north Atlantic, especially in middle latitudes, have been colder than normal this month.
    So, there is one factor among 4 that might just possibly be to do with global warming, but otherwise, there is nothing to link Cockermouth with climate change.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I believe Cockermouth had higher than average rainfall in a short period of time, but nevertheless building on flood planes and creating efficient drainage systems that push water all at once into rivers must play a huge contributory role too. Its surprising how much water soil and vegetation hold, as anyone who has tried to dry washed lettuce will be able to confirm.

Comment

You've tried to dry lettuce.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          You've tried to dry lettuce.
          I know, it's impossible. A few leaves hold about a gallon of water. Or so it seems.

(I don't mean totally dry, just enough so that sandwiches don't get soggy)

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            There was brave man on question time last night, he dared to suggest that the argument behind AGW was possibly wrong?
            That wasn't a man, it was Melanie Philips. Easy mistake to make though.

Comment

I dry my organic lettuce with a piece of chemically bleached kitchen paper.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

To be fair, everybody looked somewhat embaressed for the stupid woman saying "If there's no global warming, wot about Cockermouth innit?". But then the SNP woman agreed with her.

When Brigstock was doing his preaching to the choir thing, the Daily Mail woman was furioulsy looking at bits of paper. I want to know what she was going to say in response.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The thing is AGW is something that can't be proved one way or the other, but it is a wonderful opportunity to get research funding that is difficult to refuse, and a politicians wet dream: tax out of thin air...
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    The thing is AGW is something that can't be proved one way or the other, but it is a wonderful opportunity to get research funding that is difficult to refuse, and a politicians wet dream: tax out of thin air...
                    Of course it can be. We have a whole bunch of predictions that can be tested by observation, all we have to do is wait.

In fact some of them have already proven to be false.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X