• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Climategate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climategate

It all seems to be unravelling pretty quickly - led by the US & Australia - it's indicative of the servile state of Britain that more people & institutions have not questioned the basic premise (& data) of the governments position as the 'scientific evidence' does appear to be tarnished and not subjected to the usual robust scrutiny associated with scientific studies - all very Emperors new clothes mixed in with a Salem witch trial

So.... will get all the taxes & 100w light bulbs back?
    Last edited by Troll; 29 November 2009, 11:09.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    It all seems to be unravelling pretty quickly - led by the US & Australia - it's indicative of the servile state of Britain that more people & institutions have not questioned the basic premise (& data) of the governments position as the 'scientific evidence' does appear to be tarnished and not subjected to the usual robust scrutiny associated with scientific studies - all very Emperors new clothes mixed in with a Salem witch trial

So.... will get all the taxes & 100w light bulbs back?
    This is going to be the lasting legacy of this whole farce. Science will take centuries to recover from this. For example, it plays right into the creationists hands.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Climate change skeptics are in for a nasty shock when subspot activity resumes in a few years ...
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I grown up in Siberia and could see that winters got *MUCH* milder in space of just 20 years.

Now who exactly caused it is another question, but it seems doubtful to me that human activity had small effect on it, think about it:

1) 1 barrel of oil = 158.987295 litres
        2) daily extraction of oil is around 70 million barrels per day, that's 11,060,000,000 liters per day

Most of daily oil gets used one way or another - in annual terms that's 4,036,900,000,000 liters.

That's an effing huge number!!!

No wonder shecks are football club buyers now.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          I grown up in Siberia and could see that winters got *MUCH* milder in space of just 20 years.

Now who exactly caused it is another question, but it seems doubtful to me that human activity had small effect on it, think about it:

2) daily extraction of oil is around 70 million barrels per day, that's 11,060,000,000 liters per day

Most of daily oil gets used one way or another - in annual terms that's 4,036,900,000,000 liters.

That's an effing huge number!!!

No wonder shecks are football club buyers now.

Wait and see what happens to oil consumption as poorer countries start getting richer and as world population increases. Changing to more energy efficient light bulbs isn't going to make any difference; oil and coal will all be used up while it is economically viable to continue doing so. People will just have to adapt to climate change, as they always have.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Ugh, what an awful unit. Civilised people use cubic metres (or litres).

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Climate change skeptics are in for a nasty shock when subspot activity resumes in a few years ...
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Whether it's valid or not I always wonder why people get so hot-headed over this. Seems non-scientists on both sides turn it into a zealotry rather than science.

Besides, any moves which make pollution better and slow the usage of fossil fuels are great even if the reason used is not actually true. Towns which don't make you ill from breathing, and a future where we haven't run out of oil, both seem attractive to me.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Whether it's valid or not I always wonder why people get so hot-headed over this. Seems non-scientists on both sides turn it into a zealotry rather than science.

Besides, any moves which make pollution better and slow the usage of fossil fuels are great even if the reason used is not actually true. Towns which don't make you ill from breathing, and a future where we haven't run out of oil, both seem attractive to me.

Well said, why would anyone think higher emissions is a good thing?
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    any moves which make pollution better and slow the usage of fossil fuels are great even if the reason used is not actually true. Towns which don't make you ill from breathing, and a future where we haven't run out of oil, both seem attractive to me.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X