• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax return

Hello,

I am doing my tax return so my accountant can complete for me, and I have trouble completing the section where I have to put the Bank/Building Society interest received net of tax section.

How can I get this information, and how will I know if it's inc or exc tax?
    Do the various banks give this information over the phone?

Many thanks

Originally posted by kellycell View Post
    I am doing my tax return so my accountant can complete for me, and I have trouble completing the section where I have to put the Bank/Building Society interest received net of tax section.

How can I get this information, and how will I know if it's inc or exc tax?
    Do the various banks give this information over the phone?
    Have you actually tried asking the Bank/BS

They might give it over the phone, but they should send you a statement of interest earned including net/gross values, which is what you need anyway in case of an enquiry.

Comment

They often send you a tax voucher. Otherwise, don't you get statements or have online access of some kind? Bit wierd to have accounts and know nowt about what's going on in them.

If all else fails you could make estimates and put a note to that effect in the return. Unless amount is sigbnificant that would probably do.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I do have online access however, it does not offer the option of showing statements for over a year.

Thanks, I will contact the banks and hopefully they can give me the info I need.

Comment

A 'Certificate of tax deduction' is what you're after, and the bank will know exactly what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by deckster View Post
            A 'Certificate of tax deduction' is what you're after, and the bank will know exactly what it is.
            Hello, hmm will that show the interest earned though?

Comment

Originally posted by kellycell View Post
              Hello, hmm will that show the interest earned though?
              Yes, it will.
              Ring them and ask them.

Comment

If it's a UK bank account, and unless you've filled in an R85 form, then the interest will be net of tax. That is, 20% tax would have been automatically applied.

So, if your statements say you've received interest of £100, then the gross interest was £100 / 80 * 100 = £125.

Note that you should not include any interest earned in an ISA.

Linky.

Comment

Working...
                X