• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does the Telegraph web site bugger up your browser?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the Telegraph web site bugger up your browser?

Every time I follow a link to the Telegraph web site, my Internet Explorer (E6) locks up and I end up having to reboot.

No other web site causes the same problem.

Is it just me?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

I thought all contractors used Firefox
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

No, but the Independent was doing a similar thing a few weeks ago. Of course I use a suitably righty sort of version on my PC and it only locks up over lefty stuff.

PS Actually, the demented Poly Toynbee aside obviously, I am starting to quite like The Guardian, often quite sensible in a liberal lefty way.

PS IE8 is better.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        PS Actually, the demented Poly Toynbee aside obviously, I am starting to quite like The Guardian, often quite sensible in a liberal lefty way.
        Wash your mouth out
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Wash your mouth out
          I've reported him to admin. He is a sick man.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Every time I follow a link to the Telegraph web site, my Internet Explorer (E6) locks up and I end up having to reboot.

No other web site causes the same problem.

Is it just me?
            Yes, the same thing often (but not always) happens to me when I try saving a Telegraph article in FireFox.

They have a two-minute auto-refresh on their main page and I think on other pages, no doubt to artificially boost their click rates, and it is extremely irritating and intrusive when one is trying to read something. I think this refresh may be part of the problem.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

A lot of companies will not have tested their sites on older browsers now, how old is IE6?
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                ... I am starting to quite like The Guardian, often quite sensible...

At least one person round here has begun the long journey of coming to their senses

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                  A lot of companies will not have tested their sites on older browsers now, how old is IE6?
                  Old and foul and worthless, or 8 years, 3 months, 3 days if you want the facts.

Unfortunately, many big organisations are staffed by a sufficient number of incompetents to have created Intranet apps that will only work on it, and now refuse to either upgrade (because they would have to upgrade their apps) or allow other browsers to be installed alongside it for use other than with their broken apps (because somebody would then have to admit they were incompetent in committing to IE6, and allow somebody competent to be hired in their place).

Even the IE Team at MS are seriously disgruntled at this situation; unfortunately MS senior management basically shut them down after IE6, except for a skeleton crew to deal with security fixes. Then it became apparent that the browser wars were not in fact over, and they were reassembled to create newer and better browsers, and are nearly half-way there with IE8. However MS had told its big corporate clients (and let me assure you, they come a long way ahead of you when MS decides its strategy) that they could rely on IE6 being supported forever and a day, and now it's too late for MS to back down.

I know for a fact that the IE Team hate having to support that crock of tulip. One of them told me so. It's also one of the reasons he recently left the team, having been on there since IE2. His current role in Microsoft is dedicated to ensuring the company works towards operating with open standards in all its future activities regarding the web. In ten years, he may have got somewhere; but if he can't do it, MS will be dead in the water anyway by then. Somebody should tell that asshole Ballmer.

Comment

My last client co pretty much stopped supporting IE6 the minute IE7 came out. OK, the site had to generally work, but graphics glitches became less important. I suspect the Telegraph has the same attitude.

IE6 is a worthless piece of tulip that should have been strangled at birth.
                    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                    X