• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outsourced Data Centers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outsourced Data Centers

Is it just me or does outsourcing a companies server hosting needs result in a world of pointless access request forms, SLA's and not much ever getting done as requested.
    Coffee's for closers

Leave it!

That's my bread and butter!

Comment

£12,000 to change an IP address.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Is it just me or does outsourcing a companies server hosting needs result in a world of pointless access request forms, SLA's and not much ever getting done as requested.

pointless -> documentation (about the business), SLAs (to support the business) and .. not much getting done.
        ... you're not at the pointy end of your company are you. What are you trying to achieve, it's pretty std. stuff (worldwide even)?

Comment

Originally posted by craig_m67 View Post
          pointless -> documentation (about the business), SLAs (to support the business) and .. not much getting done.

... you're not at the pointy end of your company are you. What are you trying to achieve, it's pretty std. stuff (worldwide)?
          Very much at the pointy end, I own it!

Documentation and SLA's are not worth the paper they're written on if they're never referred back to once they've been put in action.

Trying to acheive? A lower pulse rate by means of ranting.
          1 day long face to face, several phone calls, 10's of emails, 2 change requests and the accompanying 200 page design doc that I've spent the past 2 months writing and I'm still waiting for basic access to some systems
          Last edited by Spacecadet; 30 November 2009, 11:41.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

... i'm not helping with your objective (pulse) then

Ditch 'em.. #unts, plenty of other monkeys who can feed and water racks of tin. Especially if they're ignoring the basics (doco, SLAs, the customer and your potential CPDO).

here, have a beer.. and apologies for the point end comment.. i hear middle earth rants from enterprise all day.
            Last edited by craig_m67; 30 November 2009, 12:10.

Comment

... i'm not helping with your objective (pulse) then

Ditch 'em.. #unts, plenty of other monkeys who can feed and water racks of tin. Especially if they're ignoring the basics (doco, SLAs, the customer and your potential CPDO).

here, have a beer.. and apologies for the point end comment.. i hear middle earth rants from enterprise all day.
              This is that new drug I've been hearing about. A cross between LSD and cocaine, but it's legal, because its new. Whats it like Craig ?

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

i hear middle earth rants from enterprise all day.
                I know just what you mean. The hobbit operators can't read the screens in the machine room, you can't get a straight answer from the elves on the helpdesk and if it wasn't for the orcs beasting the users there'd be no bugger doing anything at all.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

.. a no risk deliverable, another bubble in the making.
                  Last edited by craig_m67; 30 November 2009, 12:53. Reason: drink

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    £12,000 to change an IP address.
                    I'll change it for £10,000.

Comment

Working...
                    X