• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What feels nice is ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What feels nice is ...

... finding out that the bug that has been driving me potty for a day and a half isn’t me being stupid, but a bug in an external library. It being open source, I could look deep into it and find out what was wrong and even managed figure out a fix, send it to the author and get it a) acknowledged as a bug, b) have my fix accepted.

I managed to get lucky this time, but there is no way I could do this programming lark for a living anymore.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    ... finding out that the bug that has been driving me potty for a day and a half isn’t me being stupid, but a bug in an external library. It being open source, I could look deep into it and find out what was wrong and even managed figure out a fix, send it to the author and get it a) acknowledged as a bug, b) have my fix accepted.

I managed to get lucky this time, but there is no way I could do this programming lark for a living anymore.
    yay , well done mate
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I must admit that I was very cautious opening this thread, taking into account the OPs reputation

Well done
      SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
        I must admit that I was very cautious opening this thread, taking into account the OPs reputation

Well done
        Wot you mean?
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Comment

Interesting avatar. Is that you haunting AlreadyPacked in Egypt?

I shall never forget a company Xmas piss-up in the 1980s when one of the most serious hard drinkers turn up 2 hours late and burst into the restaurant and yelled:
          "It was a f**king bug in the ME29 COBOL compiler "

(Yes, he did say :banana: - I remember it well.)

The whole company cheered him and it was a special night after that.

It is a sign of the true professional: methodical, confident, wise - that can find bugs in compilers, external libraries and operating systems.

Well done, HAB. You've still got it - and not many ever had it to start with.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Interesting avatar. Is that you haunting AlreadyPacked in Egypt?
            Nah, it's a beach where I was and should be living right now (but not ).

Comment

Had similar during the first week of my last contract. It got so bad and was making me look like a right tw@ that I thought Jeremy ******* beadle was going to jump out at some point. Turned out to be the compiler and I made a huge point of letting them know.

Comment

Interesting avatar. Is that you haunting AlreadyPacked in Egypt?...
                We're supposed to be using Christmas avatars now. So HAB is subtly hinting that he'll be on holiday in Bermuda or somewhere for a month over Christmas, while most of us are stuck here in the UK shivering our nuts off
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It is a sign of the true professional: methodical, confident, wise - that can find bugs in compilers, external libraries and operating systems.

Well done, HAB. You've still got it - and not many ever had it to start with.
                  Yeah, but 99% of the time when you say "it must be a bug in the compiler," it turns out to be a bug in your code.

Apart from that one time in Visual Studio C++ with floating point number weirdness. That's a week of my life I'm not getting back.

Oh and those middleware libraries that went into infinite loops. Thank god for Java decompilers.

Comment

I had a client complain about the output of some function that I was using from an open source toolkit. It was a complaint for the sake of complaining complaint, so I passed the complaint on to the writer of the function knowing they had a good sense of humour. They responded by sending a link to their page on Wolfram MathWorld and their lecture on the subject from the MIT site.

Oh, how we laughed.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X