• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Northern Lights excursions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern Lights excursions

Has anyone here been on one, that they can recommend?

Have googled but not sure what one would be the best.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Not been on one myself, but really want to.

A friend went on a flight from Bristol (back to Bristol), about 3-4 hours flew over the Arctic circle, saw the stars with amazing clarity, saw the northern lights, but they were a bit 'dim' - not the best time in the cycle to see them (I think they will be better in a few years - 12 year cycle).
    Beer
    is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

Just as soon as you pop a santa hat on your avatar. Not speaking to you until then.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Saw them plenty of times up here, minimal sunspot activity means fewer aurora so might not be worth it.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Chasing the aurora?

Where have I read that?

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

Northern Lights
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              Saw them plenty of times up here, minimal sunspot activity means fewer aurora so might not be worth it.
              I have seen them once as well in Scotland, much slower than they are made out in the pictures, it was more like a lava lamp than the light show I thought it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I have seen them once as well in Scotland, much slower than they are made out in the pictures, it was more like a lava lamp than the light show I thought it would be.
                On one occasion about seven years ago it was so bright it woke me up about 1am, heavy curtains as well. Was just like you imagine it to be at its best. It was some show and could actually be heard.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

I never thought of asking that question on here. I have a very short "Things to do before I die list":

1. See a damn good display of the Northern Lights

Aren't we within a few years or maximum sunspot activity?

Would it be enough to spend a couple of weeks in northern Scotland? I could be having a holiday at the same time.

Do I need to spend a couple of weeks on the Shetlands? That is on my To Do list anyway.

Do I need to go to northern Scandinavia? Bill Bryson made that sound like damn hard work.

Does it need to be done in the winter when all the touristy things are closed so there is nothing all else to do?

Does an aurora cruise provide > 95% chance of a good show? I don't believe the brochures (they are vague anyway). I'd rather continue to spend my cruising trips visiting places rather than gambling it on a chance show.

What is a cost effective way of getting a very high %age of seeing a good show? I'm willing to invest 2 weeks.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    On one occasion about seven years ago it was so bright it woke me up about 1am, heavy curtains as well. Was just like you imagine it to be at its best. It was some show and could actually be heard.
                    I always though it would be like Local Hero with flashing lights, then the one I seen was coloured fluids flowing around the sky, totally amazing. Bright reds, purples and greens, all slowly merging.

That and the Olympic 100 meters finals are the greatest things I have ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                    X