• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using Forex to preserve my war chest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Forex to preserve my war chest

Hi,

I’ve been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post.

I’ve got just over £100k in my Ltd company account as a war chest. Just spoke to my bank and they said that the funds above £50k are not covered. I am looking for ways to spread the risk and to minimise losses if the pound goes does or inflation starts eating the capital.
    One advice I received from a wise person (he did give me some good advices before) is to open forex accounts with a couple of brokers and to deposit some of company’s funds there. The brokers make money on spreads during transactions. So, if I don’t make any transactions, I don’t incur any charges but even receive an interest on my capital. So, in fact, it’s like a foreign currency account with one of the banks but without charges. Also, this way I would avoid all the hassle with opening ltd company accounts in the banks. Has anyone tried a similar approach? Any views/comments?

bump

Comment

I think you are worrying about nothing.

Gordon isn't going to let any UK bank fail.

If a bank fails owing £100bn he and Darling will just "print" £100bn and give it to the bank and the £100bn will just add to the UK debt mountain which will be snapped up by foreign investors. Sorted.

HTH

Comment

Ferox trout live deep deep down so you need a long line. The Irish locks are a good place to start.

Oh, sorry, wrong spelling.

Comment

I know nothing of this Forex of which you speak.

What I do know, is that ever since IR35 and some of the retrospective legislation, I would never leave any money in my ltd. Just enough to cover accountants bill and corp tax and VAT.
          Dont make yourself a target

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I always pull out as much money as divs at the end of the tax year.
            Move the money to my UK account the off shore. Last year I moved my Sterling into a Euro account. This year I have a problem, I can't bring myself to move my Sterling into another currency, because the rate is so bad. I know I should move, but I can't.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
              Ferox trout live deep deep down so you need a long line. The Irish locks are a good place to start.

Oh, sorry, wrong spelling.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

has someone been swapping the letters over on your keyboard? cos it's all come out gobbledygook.

Comment

Originally posted by PM_contract View Post
                  Hi,

The brokers make money on spreads during transactions. So, if I don’t make any transactions, I don’t incur any charges but even receive an interest on my capital. So, in fact, it’s like a foreign currency account with one of the banks but without charges. Also, this way I would avoid all the hassle with opening ltd company accounts in the banks. Has anyone tried a similar approach? Any views/comments?

The spread and commission charges from a low cost broker will be nothing compared to the currency risk.

If you just planning on keeping funds dormant in GBP. Youll find the rate of interest in a brokerage account is very low at the moment.

It will be just as much hassle to open a brokerage account in a Ltd company name as opening a bank account.. You will have to provide the same paper work to open the account.
                  Last edited by Iron Condor; 1 December 2009, 14:57.

Comment

Working...
                  X