• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paris + My thoughts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paris + My thoughts

Just spent 5 days in Paris and I am back in London.

Here are my impressions

- The metro in Paris stinks of wee, but there is always a tube when you need one.

- Lots of homeless people and drunks in the metro. Probably contribute to point 1

- Drinks in paris are more expensive than London. Food is better on the whole but also expensive.

- For hotels, you generally get better value for money then in London.

- Clothes in Paris are cheaper than in London.

- Parisian barman are mostly Wnkers who have over-inflated egos. Customer service is not high on the list of priorities. In the UK you are sometimes met with indifferecne whereas in France, often rudeness and aggression if you have any issues with the food etc.

- The woman in London are prettier.

- Although on the whole, I think Paris is a prettier city than London, it lacks the energy and it feels less vibrant.

- Any Frenchman over 60 seems to spend all his time drinking coffee, ricard, smoking Gitanes and p!ssing his pension money away on (Rapide, their version of lotto I think)

- When you walk arounf London you hear evry language under the sun, and when you walk around Paris you mostly hear french and arabic on the odd occasion.

- In London neighbourhoods and bouroughs are all mixed up whereas in Paris they seem to have compartmentalised all the immigrants to ghastly estates outside Paris.

- On the whole, although the UK has its problems, I think that Britain is generally more enlightened and takes a more progressive attitude to immigration and cultural integration than Europe(IME France and Holland). Europe is great if you are white, but I would hate to live there if I was Asian or Black.

- My French sux badly and I need to practice.

A lot to say after 5 days but any other opinions woudl be interesting
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

The peasants are revolting!

Comment

Would also add:

- If your wife/girlfriend is blonde, be ready to have hordes of troglodytes drooling on her and act like if you are armed and ready to fight back, possibly with a Jack Nicholson/"Shining" crazed look
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

The French

About ten years ago my mum took a coach trip to France and one of the passengers on the coach had a heart attack and died when they got to Paris. The French police and emergency services turned up and lay the dead body on the pavement and chatted while waiting for the body to be collected. Needless to say the people on the coach were horrified and distressed by the cavalier attitude of the French authorities. Says it all really.
        Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

I had the pleasure of living in Paris for one year, I rented a house boat (well the front cabin) situtated in front of the Champ de Mars station , which is in front of the Effiel Tower.

I had a wonderful time, beaucoup des euros, wine,women and song.

Yes one night in Paris is like a year in any other place.

And the houseboat would have been just to the right of this picture

Forty two, quarante-deux, Rue de Saint Jacques
          All our girls are, how you say, good in the sack

I was a stripper on the Champs-Elysees
          He was a Gendarme in the Gendarmerie

Going ooh la la la ooh la la la la ahh

He was a pimp in a black beret
          But he was an artiste in his own way

Going ooh la la la ooh la la la la ahh

When they raided my club that night, that night
          They ruined my act with the leather umbrella

The Chief of Police got a fright, got a fright
          He was up in my boudoir with some other fella

Ooh it's only routine
          But I got this feeling it ain't good for business

Then the floor cleared, a woman screamed to herself

Alfie ... though you're not the toast of Paris, I love you
          Although you bed and beat me, Alfie

Leave it alone for the Gendarme's just doing his job
          Paris is only one step away, murder is only one step away

Notre Dame is ringing her bells
          Another gendarme has gone to Hell
          To Hell, to Hell to Hell, to Hell
          To Hell, to Hell to Hell

One night in Paris is like a year in any other place
          One night in Paris will wipe the smile off your pretty face

One girl in Paris is like loving every woman

This night in Paris, this night in Paris

This night in Paris may be your last!
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 2 December 2005, 11:08.

Comment

I have oftern been to Paris and worked there breifly on occasion, I would like to live there for a while, contact with a few contacts I have made......yes Paris has faults, but don't most Citys?
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

Well done sunnysan, you'll have the makings of a travel writer before you know it!

Did you take a stroll down Rue St Denis while you were there?, that's also quite an interesting part of town.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                Well done sunnysan, you'll have the makings of a travel writer before you know it!

Did you take a stroll down Rue St Denis while you were there?, that's also quite an interesting part of town.
                An incidental amusement after dinner at Julien (Good restaurant with original 1900 Art Nouveau decor: it has stayed the same while the rest of the quartier has changed).

Comment

Well I have just been to Paris too, to see Coldplay live (very good, incidentally - recommended!), and I kinda agree overall with your opinions, sunnysan

A few more things though:
                  - people in Paris aren't loud and lairy like in London
                  - Paris has got much less clubs / DJ bars
                  - it's much much easier to find a quick bite to eat in Paris, there are brasseries at every street corner
                  - shopping is much better (London only has the dreaded Oxford Street, Knightsbridge and Camden Market really - in Paris, the shops are spread all over the city and it feels like they have less chains and more individual shops)
                  - watch your step in Paris as there is dog tulip everywhere
                  - the tube is much cheaper!!! And during my 3 days there, not once did we stop in a tunnel for a while with no explanation whatsoever - but on my return to London, straight away the Jubilee line stopped half-way through 2 stations for 2 minutes.

Overall, some things are better there, some things are better here....
                  Chico, what time is it?

Comment

I wonder SS if your experience has more to do with you being English than anything else?

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X