• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice & Opinions - Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice & Opinions - Interview

Hi chaps & Chappesses
    Heres the thing.....
    Got interview on Friday in Glasgow, Company also has office in London, role will involve travelling to Glasgow (no issues with this)....Client wants interview in Glasgow......

I was thinking of sending below to agent:

Hi Sam

Please can you ask your client if

1. They would consider a phone interview before face to face?
    2. They would consider having the interview at St Pancras Office?
    3. If no to both, then contribution to journey – cheapest I can find is £180 return…

If they would consider phone interview first, then I have no issue going to Glasgow, (at my expense) by then we would have chatted and both parties would know at that stage that role and my services are suitable
    for each other…..

Let me know your thoughts please…….

Now, Mrs S, says, do you want interview or not? I do and my gentle enquiries could be viewed as "this one is trouble, bin mode"....., but I don't want to spend £200 return (from London)-including taxi from Station, to find out I'm not suitable for them, or job is not what is on JD.....War chest is exhausted......And yes I do want the role!

Any options I've not thought about or opinions gratefully recieved

I would consider a phone interview to be essential in this case. It's a long way to go to find out you don't fit their requirements because the agent has mis-sold you. It's happened to me.

Just give them a "courtesy call" before you commit to the interview. You'll know within minutes how you feel about taking it further.

Comment

If it's Thus, they're known time wasters, so I'd stick to my guns for a phone conversation first.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

That's good but don't email it. Give him a phone call. Agents consider emails as declarations of war.

Comment

The buggers at Aggressive arranged an interview in Edinburgh for a gig Diver could have done (undersea civil engineering project management) having told me it was a PRINCE2 PM gig.

I wish I'd had the sense to ask for a phone interview with them first, before making the overnight (including hotel cost) trip.

Just ask, the worst that will happen is they say "No".
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

phone, definately.

pressure from the missus - thats not good.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              The buggers at Aggressive arranged an interview in Edinburgh for a gig Diver could have done (undersea civil engineering project management) having told me it was a PRINCE2 PM gig.

I wish I'd had the sense to ask for a phone interview with them first, before making the overnight (including hotel cost) trip.

Just ask, the worst that will happen is they say "No".
              When an agent did something similar to me, I billed him for a day of my time. I eventually settled for a half day, but it covered my costs and a bit more.

Comment

Dear oh dear! There's no way, even in a shyte market, would I lay out anything in the region of £180 to attend an interview!

I have been known to travel for a couple of hours for an interview but Id expect the client to agree to a telephone interview rather than spending anything like that.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If they are giving you a phone interview option then go for it.

It's not worth your while spend all that dosh and travel time, just to find out it's a no go'er.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by SeekingIT View Post
                    but I don't want to spend £200 return (from London)-including taxi from Station, to find out I'm not suitable for them, or job is not what is on JD.....War chest is exhausted......And yes I do want the role!
                    And i don't blame you. I went for an interview that required taking a day off and i drove all the way down there only to find the role wasn't remotely what the agent had told me it was. Wasted a whole day for what i could have found out in 30 secs by phone.

Comment

Working...
                    X