• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone want to get fit/slim?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone want to get fit/slim?

I'll PM my daily training sessions to you. Warning; they are f*@king hard work so you'll need to adapt them to your own fitness level.

I'm experimenting a bit for plan B (personal trainer) when current gig ends.

Here's a sample;

My training session for this evening;

- 5 mins jog warm up

- sprint 100 metres, walk 100m recovery, sprint 100 metres

- rest 3 mins

- sprint 200 metres, walk 100m recovery, sprint 200 metres

- rest 3 mins

- sprint 300 metres, walk 100m recovery, sprint 300 metres

- rest 3 mins

- rest 3 mins

- rest 3 mins

- 2*8 squats @ 150% bodyweight

- 2*40 crunches with 2 mins rest

- jog 5 mins cool down
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Bloody hell. You must have a pretty good level of fitness!

What sort of training schedule would you recommend for someone that hasnt exercised for around 22 years ?

Rhubarb.

Comment

All that stop and start sprint will bugger up your heart
      Shouldn't the heart rate be maintained at some high level for a period of time ?
      IANAE

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
        Bloody hell. You must have a pretty good level of fitness!

What sort of training schedule would you recommend for someone that hasnt exercised for around 22 years ?

Rhubarb.
        - gently cycle or walk briskly for 5 minutes

- jog slowly or cycle a little faster (so you're breathing a little deeper) for 90 seconds, then rest for 2 mins, then another 90 seconds

- same for 2 mins, with 2 mins rest and 2 mins jog/cycle

- same for 3 mins, rest 2 mins, 3 mins jog cycle

- same for 2 mins, with 2 mins rest and 2 mins jog/cycle

- same for 90 secs mins, 2 mins rest and 90 secs jog/cycle

- gently cool down (cycle or brisk walk for 5 mins)

The principle's the same, but your training would be a much lighter interval training.

Whatever you do, don't get yourself out of breath, you just need to feel that you're breathing a little more deeply.

What the training is doing is raising and then lowering your heart rate within responsible boundaries, and pushing you to use your lungs a bit more; progress will be very quick if you stick to it.

If you're worried about your health, consult a physician etc bla bla bla, otherwise just take it easy and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          All that stop and start sprint will bugger up your heart
          Shouldn't the heart rate be maintained at some high level for a period of time ?
          IANAE
          It won't. It's like strength training for your heart. Mainting a particular heart rate for long time is OK if you want to run a marathon, but this is about improving capaity of heart and lungs.

Comment

High intensity training for short periods of time is the most effective way to shift body fat. The body can adapt to long periods of jogging, cycling etc.

You don't see fat sprinters but you see plenty of out of shape people plodding around the park week in, week out for no discernable gain.

Comment

My training session for this evening;

- 5 mins jog warm up

- get willy out

- rest put rain coat on

- sprint 300 metres, walk 100m recovery, sprint 300 metres

- rest 3 mins hide

- rest 3 mins dump raincoat

- go back to bedsit and have pot noodle

Comment

Nice one, thank you. I've finally reached a point in my life where I feel I *have* to try and do something about my fitness level while I'm still able.

Rhubarb

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Setter View Post
                  You don't see fat sprinters but you see plenty of out of shape people plodding around the park week in, week out for no discernable gain.
                  That's probably because fat people don't like sprinting. Ever held the door open for a fat person? They don't run and you'll be standing there for ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Setter View Post
                    High intensity training for short periods of time is the most effective way to shift body fat. The body can adapt to long periods of jogging, cycling etc.

WHS

Sprinters don't worry too much about what they eat either, compared to other athletes.

Comment

Working...
                    X