• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are tattoos addictive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are tattoos addictive?

Is it the endorphins?

Link: "Just below the dead skin of the epidermis are special cells called epithelium. When you tattoo into this layer, endorphins are released. Endorphins is the substance which gives you a kind of kick that people slowly get addicted to."

Is it seratonin release triggering adrenalin?

Link: "the pain causes your brain to produce serotonin. It mixes in your blood with the adrenalin and causes a natural high. That natural high is very addictive."

Is it the body associating tattoos with emotional relief?

Link: "Some people use tattoos to dull emotional pain. If someone chooses to get a new tattoo rather than coping with a situation he or she may be addicted to tattoos."

Is it a combination of things?

Link: "Psychologists speculate that tattoo addiction is a unique cocktail of pain, artistic freedom, body worship and rebellion"

Is it just the excitement?

Link: "It is possible to get ‘hooked’ on the excitement of getting a tattoo, just as some people get ‘hooked’ on shopping, but that’s not a real addiction."

Is it just a collecting hobby?

Link: "I think it’s more to do with the collecting thing. I suppose I already have that streak in me. I already collect lists and lists of birds, so why not move on to collecting tattoos as well?"

Is it acquisition?

Link: "Addiction is a compulsion, something over which a person has no self-control. Addiction cannot differentiate between a want and a need. Most people who get tattoos do so simply because they want them."

Is it an artificial orgasm?

Link: "It may be because of endorphin which gets released when one endures pain. To some this may be very addictive. It's the same compound that gets released when one has an orgasm. Hence, let's take this new thing as a positive addiction."

Is it a need for self-expression?

Link: "I think its a form of self expression, and I suppose it is addictive. I want more because I have many designs that I want done."

Is it a way to transcendental maturity?

Link: "Getting tattooed in many ways is a ritual. You put your mind in a different place and go into a meditative trance. You endure pain. You become different. You evolve."

I've learned one thing: two very popular questions on t'interweb are:

1. Are tattoos addictive?
    and
    2. Why are tattoos addictive?

but all I can find is speculation. Anyone know of any actual research results?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

I've done some actual research - my complex findings are below....:

I quite like 'em.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Nope RC - don't knowof any actual results but my own experience makes me think addictive. And it is a bit of a high...
      Last edited by cailin maith; 2 December 2009, 09:05.
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Probably most primitive, and not so primitive, peoples did a lot worse in the permanent body part disfigurement departments than tattoos and it's still prevalent in our society today, for example ear rings and Prince Albert's. Jewellery wearing too, what's that all about? I don't do piercings, tattoos, skin scarring, jewellery, neck or lower lip strtetching or head re-shaping.

I've just thought of a practical application for a tattoo though. On the head, very lightly to make it look as if you've shaved your head for fashionable reasons rather than because you is bald as a coot.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          I've just thought of a practical application for a tattoo though. On the head, very lightly to make it look as if you've shaved your head for fashionable reasons rather than because you is bald as a coot.
          But then people who assume that men shave their heads either because they are thugs or because they are having to work the doors at weekends to make ends meet (not disjoint sets, I know) will assume that you are either a thug or having to moonlight on the doors; whereas everybody understands baldness.

Also, given that you can't get rid of the tattoo, you risk having your head kicked in by some drunken youth who has mistaken you for a doorman when you're eighty years old and crippled with arthritis.

Overall, not a good look

Comment

Can't stand 'em meself and I hate them on women. It's like putting graffiti on a oil painting as far as I'm concerned.

I see women with them on their feet and arms and I think it says nothing but "I'm cheap" and "I think so little of myself and have so many problems that I'm going to disfigure my body".

On men it's just a cover up for insecurites and doubts about sexuality masquerading as an art form.

Having second thoughts about that tat? Too late you've done it now....

Can you see my point?

HTH
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              I've done some actual research - my complex findings are below....:

I quite like 'em.
              WSS.

and no, they're not addictive.

HTH
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                Can't stand 'em meself and I hate them on women. It's like putting graffiti on a oil painting as far as I'm concerned.

I see women with them on their feet and arms and I think it says nothing but "I'm cheap" and "I think so little of myself and have so many problems that I'm going to disfigure my body".

On men it's just a cover up for insecurites and doubts about sexuality masquerading as an art form.

Can you see my point?

HTH
                yep.
                I got picked up by the fuzz when I was a young tearaway. They radioed in and the first question that control asked was 'any distinguishing marks ?'
                The patrolman said 'no scars, no tattoos' and let me go.

I like the idea of being anonymous so much, (esp to those fckrs) that I kept it that way ever since

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Can you see my point?

HTH
                  Now that's a great phrase!

I have to agree BTW, I cannot think of a single picture or design that I would want to look at on my body until the day I die.
                  The vegetarian option.

Comment

Can you see my point?

HTH
                    Actually - your misconceptions of the reasons why people may choose to have tattoo's says more about you than anything else.

If it says "I'm Cheap" to you then

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                    Now that's a great phrase!

I have to agree BTW, I cannot think of a single picture or design that I would want to look at on my body until the day I die.
                    It's about personal choice - but the number of people with old fashioned misconceptions are astounding.
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X