• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should agents margins be transparent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should agents margins be transparent?

I don't mean make it law as that would be near impossible to implement but the PCG could push for it as a 'best practise'.

Client win, contractor win, agent lose... whats not to like?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

yes
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

If you've been on the bench and looking for a contract for 6 months and you're offered a £300pd gig only to find that the agent is getting a £300 margin (i.e. the client is being charged £600) would you still take it?
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        If you've been on the bench and looking for a contract for 6 months and you're offered a £300pd gig only to find that the agent is getting a £300 margin (i.e. the client is being charged £600) would you still take it?
        No. If the agent is that much of a shyster, there's no knowing what else they would do...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

yes
          I can't think of any other agent in any industry whose commission is not transparent.

Comment

I know of a case where the contractors were getting £250 a day and the agent £1250. Lasted for about 6 months. When the client found out they went ballistic, canned the contractors and banned the use of any UK based agencies. Story got around, and is one reason UK based agencies don't get much in the way of work in Denmark as they will refuse to be transparent on mark-up.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Yep.

But negotiations would begin within 1 minute of me finding out what the client was paying.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

A number of points on this one.

First of all I know what reasonable people you all are, so I am sure that whilst we are at it, revealing profits, why dont we force all contractors to reveal also what they earn?

This would make it simple for clients, agents would find it very difficult to hide their margins.

And whilst we are at it why dont we pay all contractors the same?
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  And whilst we are at it why dont we pay all contractors the same?
                  Yes, and the cleaners. They should get the same as the brain surgeons too....

‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Yes, and the cleaners. They should get the same as the brain surgeons too....

Why not?
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X