• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this spam/scam?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this spam/scam?

Dear CEO/Manager:

This is -- removed -- from Hong Kong. Our company is a global domain name registration and web solutions center. We just got a formal application from a local company of your country‚ trying to register several different domain names using the keyword “MyCo” on Dec. 01, 2009.
    We are having this request being checked‚ during which we found that you are the original user of this keyword, and this word maybe include your company name or trademark. In order to avoid the confusion and dispute on the internet, we inform you and would like to know your ideas. If you agree on that company's registeration, we will help them to finish it, otherwise, please inform me.

Thanks for your support and cooperation.

Sincerely yours,

-- removed --

Phone: -- removed --
    Fax: -- removed --
    Email: -- removed --
    I'm assuming it's some scam-bait, but I never saw one like this before. Are they out to sell me domains or something?
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 12 July 2010, 08:52.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm assuming it's some scam-bait, but I never saw one like this before. Are they out to sell me domains or something?
    It's likely that they're trying to sell you all the obscure variants of your co's domain. Things like yourco.eu, yourco.ltd.uk etc. All at vastly inflated prices of course.

I'd ignore it.

Comment

Yes, it's spam.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-23-...ontent;leftCol

Comment

Spam and Scam.

They want to charge you extortionate fees for "registering" you co. somewhere. Where exactly will never be specified and no registration ever actually takes place.

You can also expect any bank or card details you hand over to them to pay for this "registration" to be thoroughly abused afterwards.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Cool, thanks for confirming my suspicions.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Yes it's scam. Been running for years, trying to sell of crap domains

Comment

Working...
            X