• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where in the UK has the highest concentration of smokers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where in the UK has the highest concentration of smokers?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8390001.stm
    Coffee's for closers

yay, they only need to catch a few of these then they will be able to afford more £3.5k payouts to women whose rape cases they leave on the in tray for three months

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

He added: "There can be no excuse for throwing cigarette butts on the ground. It's lazy and disgusting."
      Wait until there have been a few litter bins on fire, then they might understand why butts get thrown on the ground.

Comment

Outside my local Spar has the highest concentration

Anywhere that sells Lambert and Butler...

....they're like catnip for chavs

Comment

What I really hate about this is the move towards using civilians to issue fixed penalty notices. (Which in my view is another indirect taxation).

What next, are my neighbours going to issue me with a fixed penalty notice for parking too far from the curb?

Sholl crossing wardens with speed cameras?

Last edited by conned tractor; 2 December 2009, 11:33.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovehr View Post
            Anywhere that sells Lambert and Butler...

....they're like catnip for chavs
            Exactly the place where such enforcement wouldn't be possible, as the local chavs tell the officer to go forth and multiply.

No, the enforcers will be looking for wealthy tourists and besuited Londoners to 'nick'

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Exactly the place where such enforcement wouldn't be possible, as the local chavs tell the officer to go forth and multiply.

No, the enforcers will be looking for wealthy tourists and besuited Londoners to 'nick'
              Go it in one.

Will a gang of yoofs in London (probably carrying heat) be asked to pay a fine? Not a chance. As you say, middle class types and tourists.

And it's another step towards totalitarian state, everything monitored, no right to trial, on the spot fines.

Comment

If they want to enforce this then they have to provide bins or places to dispose of the butts! I am a smoker and having grown up in Singapore where there is a fine of between $1,000 - $2,000 (about £300-£600) if you litter. Now this was not a problem as there are bins every 10 meters so you would actually have to go out of your way to be messy! I hate having to dispose of a butt on the street but in London there are very few places you can dispose of them. If they want to crack down at least provide places to dispose the butts, otherwise target everyone who litters and also spits! (which IMHO is bloody worse!)

End of rant
                "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

A number of towns in Germany already do this (Frankfurt for one) and I don't mind. They provide litter bins which have 'ashtrays' built into them or even in some areas just ashtrays.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Make the offenders pick up the tab ends and eat them. Then they might begin to appreciate how the non-smokers feel.
                    If they refuse then nick them. Simples!!
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X