• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A little bit of history.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little bit of history.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8316268.stm

Windoze from 1 to 7.

My Dad's got an old PC in his attic with Windows 1.0 working on it.

Everytime I go back I keep meaning to rescue it thinking it might be worth something one day!

Comment

Ha, they mention Windows ME which lasted about 6 months ... longer than any PC that actually installed it ... man that was the worst ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
        Ha, they mention Windows ME which lasted about 6 months ... longer than any PC that actually installed it ... man that was the worst ever!

Running it here.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Running it here.
          WHY!

arrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Running it here.
            Lots of coffee breaks at your place then!
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              WHY!
              I bought the Missus & I two 2nd hand business Dell desktops. They came with XP. I put Windows ME on them.

They fly. They load and shut down fast, maintenance is dead easy, there's no patching to do any more and they just work. Also, they are running without firewalls or resident anti-virus and have stayed clean.

The only two complaints I have of Windows ME are:
              • the existence of a registry which makes backing up difficult;
              • the lack of resources meaning I cannot run Firefox and IE6 and Word and OpenOffice.org and Excel and then load something else.

My server runs Windows 98SE.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                It claims that Windows 2 saw the introduction of Word and Excel in 1987.

Complete rubbish. Word was originally released for Xenix systems in 1983, and was available on MS-DOS in 1983 and the Mac in 1984. Excel was introduced on the Mac in 1985.

Come on BBC, get your facts straight

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Complete rubbish. Word was originally released for Xenix systems in 1983, and was available on MS-DOS in 1983 and the Mac in 1984. Excel was introduced on the Mac in 1985.

Mods, can this man be awarded some geek points?
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Tut, tut, NickFitz. Haven't you learned yet? There were no computers before Microsoft Windows came out.

Edit: I liked the Apple Lisa.

Comment

Working...
                    X