• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long and how many applied for?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long and how many applied for?

OK, so I've been on the bench now for 2 full months (since BT got rid of me after 5 years) - I've applied for 92 contracts, have had 2 interviews (unsuccessful). BT are back sniffing about but looking to get me in via one of their integrator strata-partners (since they killed off Hays) who are looking for a 25% commission of the dooable £400 BT are willing to pay them - the PM is trying one of the offshore partners.

I have to say I can't believe the number of roles where I have managed to get my CV through the useless agents to the clients that have just died a death - were these bullsh1t roles or did they not have the finances in place before requesting CV's?

So who's been benched the longest and how many contracts have you applied for so far?

Originally posted by yermawn View Post
    I've applied for 92 contracts, have had 2 interviews (unsuccessful).
    Well done, keep it up. Given each role is getting hundreds of responses, a 1:50 conversion rate isn't too bad when you have been doing 2 or 3 applications per day.

I can't believe the number of roles where I have managed to get my CV through the useless agents to the clients that have just died a death - were these bulltulip roles or did they not have the finances in place before requesting CV's?
    Nobody gives feedback any more. If you don't make it to the next stage, nobody will bother to tell you.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Oh I make sure they give feedback as I hound them until they do.

Standard conversation:

Me: Hello can I speak to blah
      Them: I'll just check if they're available
      Me: Thanks
      Them: Oh they've just gotten up from their desk.

Seems to me like every time the phone rings in a recruitment agency they all leg it!

Comment

My BT contacts say it is impossible to get internal resources on a project let alone get a contractor. The only way in to BT is via one of the offshore providers.

Comment

Them: Oh they've just gotten up from their desk.
          He's in a meeting.
          He's on a client site today.
          He's working from home today.
          Err, I can't see him at the moment.
          He's on another line.
          He's not in yet.
          He's still at lunch.
          His line's engaged.
          I can see he's currently on a call.
          He's just popped out.
          He's already left for the day.

Tedious, innit?
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
            My BT contacts say it is impossible to get internal resources on a project let alone get a contractor. The only way in to BT is via one of the offshore providers.
            Yup, I'd say there's only a handful of old Hays contractors left, those (unlike me) whi really did have an insurmountable ivory tower so it's TechM, TCS and there's a new kid in town Virtusa. But they're guaranteed to screw you on the rate and try and swap in one of their own resources at your first renewal.

I'm not sure what BT are playing at - they've gotten rid of the people who ran their systems (the contractors) and they still have 2k+ FTE's sitting on the bench who they're never going to be able to skill up to replace the contractors. Let alone the FTE's not on the bench who aren't worth a damn. But it's better to not be seen making compulsory redundancies!

Comment

OK, so I've been on the bench now for 2 full months (since BT got rid of me after 5 years) - I've applied for 92 contracts, have had 2 interviews (unsuccessful). BT are back sniffing about but looking to get me in via one of their integrator strata-partners (since they killed off Hays) who are looking for a 25% commission of the dooable £400 BT are willing to pay them - the PM is trying one of the offshore partners.

I have to say I can't believe the number of roles where I have managed to get my CV through the useless agents to the clients that have just died a death - were these bulltulip roles or did they not have the finances in place before requesting CV's?

So who's been benched the longest and how many contracts have you applied for so far?
              I have a friend that went the strata-partners route, not recommended. Not only will they cut your rate, they will wait a while and cut it again. Also if there is no work on your project for example DB is down for 2 days refresh, they will not pay you for those 2 days, you will be told to take a holiday. Short term ok, keep looking. Your 5 years at BT is over, it will never be the same again.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Why bother ?
                If they want you they call - end of.
                If they don't call, either they didn't send you through (but didn't want you going in through someone else) or the client says no.
                Forget the feedback, it will almost certainly be some made up combination of internal candidate, job withdrawn, spec changed blah blah blah.
                Don't waste your time, fire, chase up if you really want to, then forget...

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                  I have a friend that went the strata-partners route, not recommended. Not only will they cut your rate, they will wait a while and cut it again. Also if there is no work on your project for example DB is down for 2 days refresh, they will not pay you for those 2 days, you will be told to take a holiday. Short term ok, keep looking. Your 5 years at BT is over, it will never be the same again.
                  How shocking - a client who only wants to pay for the work that you do, rather than have a disguised employee there. Whatever next
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    How shocking - a client who only wants to pay for the work that you do, rather than have a disguised employee there. Whatever next

There is always other stuff to do. I would not be happy having enforced holidays at short notice and invoicing only 12 days a month.
                    /
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X