• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Low impact hobbit home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low impact hobbit home

I'd like to build a home for (not with) peanuts using straw bales, mud, etc, and furnish it with hi-tech as they have here. Grow apple trees and honey bees, etc.

If some beardy wizard come round and leaves a mark on your front door, you might have to put up with 13 dwarves coming round uninvited for tea.

You can avoid this by putting up a big sign at the door that reads "YOU SHALL NOT PASS". That should take care of them (and also any wandering Balrog's that might be strolling past).

HTH.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      I'd like to build a home for (not with) peanuts using straw bales, mud, etc, and furnish it with hi-tech as they have here. Grow apple trees and honey bees, etc.
      They have a forum...

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        They have a forum...
        I was just thinking the same thing
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Providence came our way and a landowner offered us the chance to move to his woodland in west Wales to build an eco-house. There would be no formal security or long term ownership, but £2000 was available for materials, so we jumped at the idea without a backward glance.
          No not ideal then, the moment the land owner gets a good offer for either land or house, they could all be out on their collective ears.
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
            No not ideal then, the moment the land owner gets a good offer for either land or house, they could all be out on their collective ears.
            I think they buy the land and then try to live on it for a number of years until it becomes legal to live there. Or something like that. Even if you get turfed off after a couple of years, it might be cheaper than renting.
            Last edited by TimberWolf; 2 December 2009, 16:05. Reason: Apart from the people you quote. D'oh.

Comment

Working...
            X