• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

About time too!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About time too!

House price inflation picks up

Are prices picking up again?
    House price inflation in the UK is rising, according to the latest survey from the Halifax.
    The country's biggest mortgage lender says prices in November were 4.5% higher than a year previously, thanks to a rise of 1.2% last month alone.

The annual rate of inflation has now gone up for the fourth month in a row, and leaves the average house in the UK now costing £170,086.

However, the Halifax said prices were not about to start shooting up again.

Martin Ellis, the lender's chief economist, said: "The slowdown in UK economic growth over the past year and the historically high level of house prices relative to average earnings are, however, expected to curb the recent improvement in housing demand and prevent another sustained period of sharply rising property values."

Earlier this week, the country's biggest building society, the Nationwide, said UK house prices were unchanged in November.

According to its house price index, that brought the annual rate of house price inflation down to 2.4%, from 3.3% in October.

Separately, figures from the Bank of England suggested that the property market was likely to see a continued upturn in activity in the coming months.

It reported that the number of mortgages approved, but not yet lent, for people buying new homes rose to 113,000.

That was the highest number for 18 months.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

I've spotted a pattern in your absences, shaunbhoy.

The trouble is, my expensive pile is also my home, so I'm not going to see much of the money.

Comment

Working...
    X