• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client isn't paying - do I take the site down?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client isn't paying - do I take the site down?

Hi - a client isn't paying for work I provided (I built them a website). Should I take the website offline until they pay?

If I tell them that I'm going to do that, they will contact the host and change passwords etc. so - should I just take their site offline?

Do you have it in your contract with them that if they are x days in arrears that the site will be taken down?

I would probably change the passwords and send them a recorded delivery letter that the site will be taken down if they don't pay for it in full within 28 days.

After 28 days of non-payment take the site down.

If they pay you then change the passwords back and have no more to do with it.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyBoy32 View Post
      Hi - a client isn't paying for work I provided (I built them a website). Should I take the website offline until they pay?

If I tell them that I'm going to do that, they will contact the host and change passwords etc. so - should I just take their site offline?
      If it's their server or they are paying for the hosting, the answer is no. You may be commiting a criminal offence if you do so. Send them a seven day warning notice that they must pay up or face a court summons.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Take the site down and when they contact you to say 'oh, our site doesnt seem to be available \ working,' say 'oh, that's because you havent ******* paid me for the work I have done on it' ( use your discretion about using the word '*******' though).
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          If it's their server or they are paying for the hosting, the answer is no. You may be commiting a criminal offence if you do so. Send them a seven day warning notice that they must pay up or face a court summons.
          Yes, the key part is whose "property" is it.

If Comet deliver me a new TV, but the cheque bounces, they don't have the right to break into my house and take it away. They would have to sue me for the money (and would almost certainly win), but they would commit a crime if they just took it.

The main exception is hire purchase agreements which do come under a different set of rules. Even so, I don't think they can force entry to reclaim the item though, which might be argued is what you are doing if you log on to their hosted web site without their permission.

Ownership of a software installation is a bit more fuzzy and it will come down to a number of factors.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            If it's their server or they are paying for the hosting, the answer is no. You will be committing a criminal offence if you do so. Send them a seven day warning notice that they must pay up or face a court summons.

There fixed it for you...
            B00med!

Comment

Hmm - but what if I knew that changing 1 DB value would take the whole site down and, when they call me to fix it (I was the only developer on the project) I say "Well - I'll have a look for you, but you need to pay me first".

I wont be removing files and it would be very difficult to locate where the error came from.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyBoy32 View Post
                Hmm - but what if I knew that changing 1 DB value would take the whole site down and, when they call me to fix it (I was the only developer on the project) I say "Well - I'll have a look for you, but you need to pay me first".

I wont be removing files and it would be very difficult to locate where the error came from.
                why are you asking us? You know the answer to this is the same as what people have already told you above.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  If Comet deliver me a new TV, but the cheque bounces, they don't have the right to break into my house and take it away.
                  That's breaking and entering. It might be a bit different if you gave Comet permission to access to your home and their TV.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Just call the solicitors and get them to chase or go to the small claims wotnot.

What you are describing could possibly get you a criminal conviction.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X