• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Chemistry of Romance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Chemistry of Romance

Romantic love 'lasts just a year'

Some couples may disagree, but romantic love lasts little more than a year, Italian scientists believe.

The University of Pavia found a brain chemical was likely to be responsible for the first flush of love.

Researchers said raised levels of a protein was linked to feelings of euphoria and dependence experienced at the start of a relationship. But after studying people in long and short relationships and single people, they found the levels receded in time.

The team analysed alterations in proteins known as neurotrophins in the bloodstreams of men and women aged 18 to 31, the Psychoneuroendocrinology journal reported.

They looked at 58 people who had recently started a relationship and compared the protein levels in the same number of people in long-term relationships and single people.

In those who had just started a relationship, levels of a protein called nerve growth factors, which causes tell-tale signs such as sweaty palms and the butterflies, were significantly higher.

Of the 39 people who were still in the same new relationship after a year, the levels of NGF had been reduced to normal levels. Report co-author Piergluigi Politi said the findings did not mean people were no longer in love, just that it was not such an "acute love".

Pity. I would like to be in love all the time. Nothing like that first feeling.

PS You post some interesting stuff Alf. Shame on you, not a real contractor at heart at all are you?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Oi Xog I posted a link to this article on your blog a week ago. So don't give me all that pony.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
        Pity. I would like to be in love all the time. Nothing like that first feeling.

PS You post some interesting stuff Alf. Shame on you, not a real contractor at heart at all are you?
        Very perceptive of you Xoggoth, I guess I am an electronic nomad who once was a musician.

But yes , I do need to get out of this contracting business , there so much else I could and should be doing.

However it does support my Wine Women and Song activites for the time being at least.

I am often tempted to sell my abode back in Scotland and just go on a World cruise and blow the lot indulging myself.

And whats so wrong with that ?

Time Will Tell.

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save.

Will Rogers, New York TImes, Apr. 29, 1930
        US humorist & showman (1879 - 1935)
        Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 2 December 2005, 18:07.

Comment

Once was a musician?

(cue assorted kids who all run in and sit down at Alf's feet)
          'Tell us about when you was a m'sician, unca Alf' simpered the cutest of all of the kids.
          Why not?

Comment

Did you dim? Ta. Musta missed it sorry. I will go and look now.

Oh yes so you did. Trouble is I lost all my "You have comments" from Haloscan. Outlook Express crashed and when I opened it again all my sodding Inbox had disappeared.
            Last edited by xoggoth; 2 December 2005, 18:43.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
              (cue assorted kids who all run in and sit down at Alf's feet)
              'Tell us about when you was a m'sician, unca Alf' simpered the cutest of all of the kids.
              Good. Are you sitting comfortably ?

Since you asked DG ...

Yep I did and still do tinkle the ivories, played in various bands, duets, even played solo for a while in some piano bars since 1978, still do play on occasion in bars etc otherwise I spend a lot of time still tinkling those ivories.

Also have an impressive array of keyboards and synths, but still Im a Piano Man at heart.

Also worked as a piano technician restoring repairing and tuning pianos, started with a firm in Wandsworth called Piano Renaissance, back in 1986.

then worked as a freelance tuner for a while, most enjoyable job Ive had.

Still do the odd tuning now and again , will be my plan B once the IT boots are hung up.

BTW Closest I got to stardom was during my tenure in South Glasgow, a bunch of lazy good for nothings (also refered to as musicians) often frequented our gaff as we had a sound proofed a room which made for a neat rehearsal space.

Amongst the mnay visitors ,there was a punk band named Johnny and the Self Abusers, the front man Jim,asked me to join the band as the keyboards and synth man.

I turned it down as I didnt like their music at all and I thought their name was naff I was destined for greater things I knew.

And that bloke Jim was a pompous git.

Anyway they went down to London and changed their name to ... Simple Minds.

There is a moral in there somewhere , excuse me while I go and shoot myself.

PS Dont shoot me, Im only the piano player !
              Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 5 December 2005, 14:28.

Comment

so if I had some ivory that need tuning I know the man to ask - I don't, I wish I did, but that’s a different story......it is nice to have something that is not IT related, music is a passion of mine – but I just listen and can’t play a key, all I see I wish I could do, one day it may find me, but for now, I just listen.....thanks Alf....nice few notes.
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
                  so if I had some ivory that need tuning I know the man to ask - I don't, I wish I did, but that’s a different story......it is nice to have something that is not IT related, music is a passion of mine – but I just listen and can’t play a key, all I see I wish I could do, one day it may find me, but for now, I just listen.....thanks Alf....nice few notes.
                  Aye N5

As somebody once said

Ive got it all here in my head
                  Theres nothing more needs to be said

Im just banging on my Old Piano
                  Getting in tune to the straight and narrow !

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 5 December 2005, 15:27.

Comment

Ivory

How many pianos can you get from one elephant?

Comment

Working...
                    X