• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kneeling Romanians, chuggers, big issue sellers, Hari Christners, junkies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kneeling Romanians, chuggers, big issue sellers, Hari Christners, junkies

Hassled by them all on the way to the shops today.

I know I may look well off with my butler walking 2 steps behind but FFS, I was like out for 20 minutes and had about 10 people asking me for money.

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Hassled by them all on the way to the shops today.

I know I may look well off with my butler walking 2 steps behind but FFS, I was like out for 20 minutes and had about 10 people asking me for money.
    Can I borrow a five guv?????
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

have you got some change
      I have to catch a bus and a quid short

Comment

Krishna

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          have you got some change
          I have to catch a bus and a quid short
          I was approached in a supermarket carpark a year or so ago by a guy with a similar line; he said he was a builder, having worked late his mates had gone home in the van. He only had £7 but needed £12 for the train fare home, so could I give him a fiver, and my address and he'd post it back to me.

When I suggested he accompany me to the train station across the road, where I would buy his ticket if he gave me the £7, he suddenly had somewhere else he needed to be.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Outside the South East I just say "Sorry mate, I grew up in London" and normally get a response like "Fair enough" and they move on to the next sucker.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

The other week I spoke to a beggar sitting near a Gregs and asked if he wanted something to eat. He asked for a pasty but asked me to nip round corner to West Cornish Pasty Co as they were better from there, cheeky b*gger!

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                I was approached in a supermarket carpark a year or so ago by a guy with a similar line; he said he was a builder, having worked late his mates had gone home in the van. He only had £7 but needed £12 for the train fare home, so could I give him a fiver, and my address and he'd post it back to me.

When I suggested he accompany me to the train station across the road, where I would buy his ticket if he gave me the £7, he suddenly had somewhere else he needed to be.

Back in 1978 a certain Mr Pruffock found himself embarking upon his first trip outside his native Scotland and found himself in the Port of Amsterdam - he sepnt an enjoyable week there - alas his money was all too soon spent - not to worry as he had an open return ticket for the ferry - he then went to the booking office to arrange matters for that days ferry - only to his dismay - was informed by the pretty Dutch girl assistant that at peak season you have to give at least three days advance notice.

Which was bothersome as he didnt have enough money to cover his next three days in the Dam . Those days we didnt have ATM machines - my Post office savings book was back in Scotland.

At a loss for what to do next he visited the Flying Dutchman coffeshop - after desrcribing his dillema to a chap from London - I was amazed when he generously offered sufficent funds to get by for the next three days - he worked for the London Underground and was on vacation - when I returned to the UK I immediately retuned the funds by cheque that he had so kindly donated.

So - always be kind to strangers because the could be Angels in disguise.
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 3 December 2009, 14:39.

Comment

How do you know they are Romanian?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    How do you know they are Romanian?
                    Well know. Articles in the paper about them kneeling all round town. They stopped that for a while after tons of complaints

They are outside nearly every supermarket selling the big issue. Even ones miles and miles away from where they are put up. The ones on the street are the overspill.

You never see the husbands as well.

They had some old granny sitting playing the guitar on the street for years. When I say playing I mean randomly strumming an untuned guitar and waling whaa whaa whaaa. Anyway as time went on the strings just gave up, she was down to 2 strings last time we seen her, she was commonly known as Madam Babushka.

I passed one a few months ago sitting on the street, her belly was hanging out and I could see her hairy cesarian scar. Nearly threw up.
                    Last edited by minestrone; 3 December 2009, 16:23.

Comment

Working...
                    X