• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Contract

Went along for an interview, or what I thought was going to be an interview, for a new contract today. Talked for a little while to the bloke whom I'm going to replace for 10 minutes, then to the project leader for 10 minutes and then to the big boss for 5 minutes.

Apparently I'm starting soon, not quite to sure when but going in next week to start on some handover and organisational procedures (pass, user, workplace, etc.) and then a few more days of that throughout December. The company is 5 minutes walk from where I live which is nice yet I'm not too sure of the real start date nor for how long. As far as I can ascertain its until the end of next year and I start properly either begining or end of January.

Will be talking to the consultancy later about all this. What gets me is that there was no real interview. I haven't used hardly any of the applications (WebSphere MQ, Message Broker and Business Monitor) and others I'm not a real expert on (WAS, Process Server) and I definitely haven't used the OS for over 10 years: AIX, even states all of this in my CV yet they're more than happy to have and are eagerly waiting for me to start. Confused.

(There is also some on-call but only 1 week in 7 plus I'll be oldest on the team, all of whom look like students.)

Do have another interview next week but up in Münster for something that I do know something about but thats only a 3 month rolling contract which I know I'll also get offered. Although it pays more (only €10 hour more) it does mean that for 5 days work I'll only really earn 4 days money after expenses whereas this one means I can sleep in my own bed each night which would be nice of 8+ years of staying in hotels.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Your reputation must precede you!
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
    X