• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rates abroad

My girlfriends getting ideas about us moving abroad for year or two - has anyone got any idea roughly how the rates compare in other countries to London?

Would need financial type companies and wondering

- if is there a contracting market in Canada? (if so where and do they pay ok)
    - how do the rates compare in Sydney?
    - where else is good for contracting in Europe? (heard Frankfurt has good financial center - but can you get by only speaking English?)

guess the other question is what's the deal with tax in these places?

Thanks in advance!

If you only want to do it for a year or two, stay within the EU (No work visa required) or Switzerland (WV needed but fairly straightforward if you have a job offer).

You ought to be able to get a job, even if you don't have a second language.

Otherwise it can get a bit tedious on getting temporary work visas for North America and Australia (why is it always easier to get visa for the UK? )

Frankfurt and Geneva are big in Financial contracts but Brussels is a goer too...
    Last edited by cojak; 2 December 2005, 15:15.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks cojak, do you know how the rates tend to compare in Frankfurt and Geneva?

Comment

I've been working 7 years in Europe only speaking English.

Rates for what I do are generally similar to the UK, but I don't do financial stuff and the only way I can see 500 pd is to convert to Euro.

OTOH the rates held up duirng the 2001/2/3 downturn. I didn't have to take a pay cut at all during that period. Currently looking for 70 Euro/h when I would expect 45 pounds in the UK, some countries don't go that high.

tim

Comment

As tim123 says, don't expect much more than UK rates for whatever you are doing (in Frankfurt, Geneva or Brussels).

It is more the fact that you're living somewhere different rather than you're earning more.

And on that note, Geneva & Brussels are much better options than Frankfurt...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks guys - it was more a case of being concerned the rates would be less, but if they are similar that sounds fine!

anyone know does this hold true for Sydney too?

Comment

Sydney rates

Originally posted by Alexander Coe
              anyone know does this hold true for Sydney too?
              Generally rates in Australia are lower than Europe unless (of course) you have skills that are in high demand. Expect about $AU 70 or so for developers up to $AU 110 or so for senior positions, PMs etc.

The Australian market is unfortunately infected with many of the same agencies found in the UK and with the same questionable business practices.

One agency/agent I have found to be an exception to the above is Virginia Fahndrich at Peoplebank. ([email protected]). She deals mainly with the Canberra market but should be able to help for Sydney too.

HTH...

Boris
              I think therefore I drink...

Comment

Working...
              X