• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dirnk Driving Limit to be Cut?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirnk Driving Limit to be Cut?

Well, if it saves one more life....

Link

So the idea is to bring the limit into line with the rest of Europe. From chatting with colleagues in Spain, who were happily downing a couple of glasses of red at lunch prior to driving back to the office, I was under the impression that disqualification is unlikely on a first offence - unless you're completely arseholed that is.

The article does indicate that there may be a 2 tier penalty here if the law is changed but I can't help feeling that this will be another nail in the coffin of the pub culture.

For the record, I often go out for a meal, have a pint and drive. Any more & I leave the car at home. Far more dangerous is driving whilst tired or stressed,but I guess you can't measure that with anything.
    Last edited by wurzel; 3 December 2009, 14:40.

The worst state to drive in (apart from very drunk or drugged up) is ill with the flu or similar or very tired.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      The worst state to drive in (apart from very drunk or drugged up) is ill with the flu or similar or very tired.
      or very stuffed full of food
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

or with the missus chasing you down the drive waving a golf club at you

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Having lived out in spain it’s taken with a pich of salt ... the police used to publish in the local press where they would be stationed for breathalyser checks in advance, so unless you were really pissed, you could just avoid. The tourists just got hit with fines. Apart from USA, and northern euro states I don’t think I know anywhere that takes it that seriously … but then most places in the word don't quite binge like we do either!

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
            Well, if it saves one more life....
            Thing is imho, it's not really likely to. This is is just more governmental twatting about giving people jobs, there'll be a number of boards and quangos to look into it, all of which will give a few cronies important sounding jobs and a lot more taxpayers money.

I honestly don't believe that people who have had 1.5 pints with a meal or a large glass of wine instead of a small one are the problem - in fact I have read studies that show that a small amount if alcohol increases concentration, an almost certainly someone who thinks that they may be approaching the limit will take extra care to avoid being pinched.

The problem is people who are utterly spanked and drive home because they've missed the last bus etc. or who genuinely but mistakenly believe that they've "drunk themselves sober", or as been said, people in differing states of mind through drugs (prescription or otherwise), illness, having a lot on their minds, or tiredness, the latter probably being the worst!

For the record I would happily have a pint and drive, but almost invariably I either drink or drive because I enjoy both but not at the same time...

Comment

Agree with tired or stressed out comment. Only minor bumps I have had were when feeling tired or under the weather. I was a pre breathaliser driver when you only had to be able to walk in a straight line to be deemed ok so must have driven lots of times when well over today's limit but always drove really carefully. I was a total maniac on the roads when sober.

I believe research shows men get more careful when drunk and women get more reckless.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
                I honestly don't believe that people who have had 1.5 pints with a meal or a large glass of wine instead of a small one are the problem -
                Last week on Dave I happened to see Richard Hammond's "Should I worry about... drinking" programme. There was one bit where he went to France and found somebody of a similar size to him (i.e. shortarse), and they sat down together with The Hamster drinking beer, and Le Hamster drinking an equivalent amount of wine whilst eating a three course meal.

The expert breathalised them both at the end. Hammond got about ~100mg, and the french bloke only registered 9mg.

So that kind of suggests you can get away with drinking 10x more with a meal before you're as drunk. Probably best not try it though.

The point of this was to show how alcohol is enjoyed differently by the french, but the expert went on to say that the health effects would be about the same because your liver still has to deal with the same amount of alcohol. It's just that drinking with a meal has less of an effect of your abilities short term, and you don't end up puking over that slapper whose hair you're holding back so she can puke over your best mate whose nose you've just broken for puking over your bird, like we all do every night in Britain.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  and you don't end up puking over that slapper whose hair you're holding back so she can puke over your best mate whose nose you've just broken for puking over your bird
                  Damn your CCTV

And I would've gotton away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids

Comment

The key question is how many accidents have been caused by drivers between 50 mg and 80 mg?

There was a news article on our regional program that featured a grieving mother who had recently lost her son to a drunk driver. She kept on about lowering the limit to 50mg although her son was sadly killed by a driver over twice the 80mg limit.

This idea is another kick in the knackers for our pubs that will acheive nothing positive. Instead of dealing with the binge drinking idiots who are the real problem they are targeting the decent people who enjoy a glass of wine with their meal or a pint whilst out on a Sunday afternoon.
                    Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Working...
                    X