• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A typical afternoon's work at ThunderCorp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A typical afternoon's work at ThunderCorp

(1) after much soul-searching, decide the best way to get the intersect from my 2 queries (freetext via Lucene, other criteria via Hibernate) is to get the record IDs from the Lucene search then add them into my Hibernate HQL as an extra clause. (for the 95% of people outside this niche, HQL is Hibernate's object querying language that later gets interpreted into vendor-specific SQL; and indeed is itself pretty darn similar to SQL)
    (2) decide that to do it, I need to concatenate my IDs into a HQL "in" clause (which is exactly like SQL's)
    (3) Write a screen of hacky dynamic HQL to do that, taking into account such niceties as null cases, different object subclasses, and batching into manageable chunks.
    (4) Just as it's starting to work, realise there's a HQL parameter type that takes an IEnumerable, and I didn't need to bother with (2) or (3).
    (5) Count myself lucky that I wasn't doing proper TDD like I really should have, because then I would have written twice as much pointless code
    (6) Conclude that next time a client absolutely insists on prior experience of some obscure open-source API, they might have a point.

well, neither hib or lucene could reasonably be called obscure. but, they are a tad monolithic and your disco of the ienum parm illustrates the lengths to which these frameworks go to try to be all things to all developers. you could never (ever) call them lightweight! most of what they (claim to) do can be done ordinarily by way of n-tier + sql trad stuff, resulting in faster and more maintainable, less blackbox type code. still, keep up the 'obscure' nomenclature and kerrchingggg

imho anyway

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post
      well, neither hib or lucene could reasonably be called obscure. but, they are a tad monolithic and your disco of the ienum parm illustrates the lengths to which these frameworks go to try to be all things to all developers. you could never (ever) call them lightweight! most of what they (claim to) do can be done ordinarily by way of n-tier + sql trad stuff, resulting in faster and more maintainable, less blackbox type code. still, keep up the 'obscure' nomenclature and kerrchingggg

imho anyway
      It's at times like this that I pine for some good old fashioned COBOL
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        It's at times like this that I pine for some good old fashioned COBOL
        6502 assembler

Life was so simple then...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

6303 or Z80 or 6809.

Mmmmmmmmmmm.

I didn't understand any of the words in the OP.
          For sheer sexiness you can't beat the 'Novix NC4000' (of which I have one built into a box of Cuban cigars.)
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
          X