• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Renewal"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Renewal"

Hi,

Bit of a tricky question...

I have been contracting at a major plc for the last 3 months, via a multi-national solutions provider (so technically with the solutions provider)

the "major plc" have told me they would like to renew me for another 3 months but only directly, not through the "solutions provider", on the basis that the "solutions provider" has a *huge* mark-up of 300%.

Now I know I am likely to put noses out of joint, but with tough times and a mortgage to pay thats not my concern - is this sort of thing likely to get me into any contractual wrangles?

BBM

Originally posted by BBM View Post
    is this sort of thing likely to get me into any contractual wrangles?
    Little clue, read your contract

Comment

is this sort of thing likely to get me into any contractual wrangles?
      I would expect so, yes.

What does your contract say? What does their contract say? What is the exact nature of the relationship between the two clients?

I did it a few years back - consultancy (coincidentally at the same time, but I was ready to walk) gave contractors their notice, so the end-client picked me up. Had no issues, and changed agency to do it - I guess the main reason being that the consultancy had already terminated the contract.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Blooming heck BBM, two posts in 22 months ? why dont you pipe down and give someone else a chance

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

You should be fine. let us know how you get on.

Comment

contract says that I cannot supply contract services to the Client/User within 3 months of termination.

Is this enforceable in reality? Can they deny me a living first and foremost?

BBM.

3 posts now!

Comment

Whats the point in you signing a bloody contract?
              Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Hi,

Bit of a tricky question...

I have been contracting at a major plc for the last 3 months, via a multi-national solutions provider (so technically with the solutions provider)

the "major plc" have told me they would like to renew me for another 3 months but only directly, not through the "solutions provider", on the basis that the "solutions provider" has a *huge* mark-up of 300%.

Now I know I am likely to put noses out of joint, but with tough times and a mortgage to pay thats not my concern - is this sort of thing likely to get me into any contractual wrangles?

BBM
                I had a similar situation at a large defence/aerospace client, with a little negotiation and the Programme Director (it was him wanting me direct in his team) making a few noises the solutions provider and their agency caved quite gracefully.

Never forget that it's the end client that wants this and has initiated the request to move and it's the client that pays the provider.

I found it quite easy to resolve in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  I had a similar situation at a large defence/aerospace client, with a little negotiation and the Programme Director (it was him wanting me direct in his team) making a few noises the solutions provider and their agency caved quite gracefully.

Never forget that it's the end client that wants this and has initiated the request to move and it's the client that pays the provider.

I found it quite easy to resolve in the long run.
                  WHS

Depending on how many bodies the soln provider has on site. They're not likely to risk p1ssing of a major client over one contractor.

Worked for me anyway

Comment

contract says that I cannot supply contract services to the Client/User within 3 months of termination.

Is this enforceable in reality? Can they deny me a living first and foremost?

BBM.

3 posts now!
                    In reality, yes it is enforceable - a three month restriction is not unreasonable.

Whether they would choose to do this is a completely different matter - when I did it, I didn't even tell the agency, I just accepted the notice and moved on. The consultancy said at one stage, when they were being asked to create a new user account etc. for me, "huh, they haven't even told us that they have poached him!" but nothing was ever said to me, and I got on well with everyone after I was on the other side of the fence.

As I said, though, you need to talk to the client and make sure that they are going to back you if things turn a little awkward / sour with the other company.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X