• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any _real_ experts on compression here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any _real_ experts on compression here?

I thought so

I thought you were an expert in everything?

I know a wee bit from a network perspective but I suspect that's not what you're after ...
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      I thought so
      I must own up to being a bit of an expert on compressing pay rates to contractors.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
        I know a wee bit from a network perspective but I suspect that's not what you're after ...
        You guessed right.

I am interested in hearing from those who know what "MOFFAT" (in context of compression) stands for.

The interest is in area of integer coding and binary index compression.
        Last edited by AtW; 2 December 2005, 19:03.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          You guessed right.

I am interested in hearing from those who know what "MOFFAT" (in context of compression) stands for.

The interest is in area of integer coding and binary index compression.
          I am an expert in google.

Alistair Moffat
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Are you aware of any better work on index compression than Moffat? This is what counts, not ability to find who he is after I gave enough hints so that even a retard could do it.

Comment

Ah ha, AtW is trolling me. Yes, I do know Alistair Moffat. He is an expert on compression. My first thought when you say Moffat Compression is the compression of textual information and building indexes from them. Would have thought that was part of how your SKA worked already...
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                Are you aware of any better work on index compression than Moffat? This is what counts, not ability to find who he is after I gave enough hints so that even a retard could do it.
                I wasn't aware you have made some progresses, good to hear.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Reading more carefully the words of a retard before he edits them:

"I am interested in hearing from those who know what "MOFFAT" (in context of compression) stands for."

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                    Would have thought that was part of how your SKA worked already...
                    I need to compress inverted index better - I have got recent Moffat's paper at hand (read a few times and fully understand) that I am going to implement tonight, however I was wondering if anybody done anything better than him. It seems like not, perhaps I will have to write paper myself next year.

Comment

Working...
                    X