• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I want a BT line at my Monday - Friday address

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a BT line at my Monday - Friday address

Grrrrrrrr

They just don't get it!

My financial address, home address is SWINDON. And this is where my Ltd Co is registered.

I am renting Monday - Friday in Bournemouth, where my work is currently based.

I want an account, set up at Swindon with the Supply address is Bmth.

Simple huh?

No. They want to put Swindon as my previous, and Bmth as my current. Also to run a credit check on me in Bmth.

They can deliver the bills to Swindon, but the account will have to be held at the supply address.

What a load of tosh. So my credit history will have Bmth on it, which I want to avoid.

Or am I being over-cautious?

How would this impact me in terms of IR35?

I suspect you are trying to put in a business line on a residential contract, which is where the awkardness arises. Cutting corners is fine but do expect to get your ankles muddy every once in a while.

I don't think any of this has much to do with IR35.

Comment

Hmm

Been thinking about this some more.

My broadband provider, NamesCo provide me a broadband service at the 01202 Bournemouth location, but the account is in Swindon.

So why can't BT get it?

Doesn't anyone think that things like this in life aren't easy for the travelling contractor?

Comment

Is anyone able to offer some 'real' advice?

Comment

Originally posted by kookachoo
          Is anyone able to offer some 'real' advice?
          Advice on what? So far you haven't asked for advice.

You've ranted against BT (which is ok by me) but not been quite specific about what you have asked them to do and what precisely they have replied. And your questions have been:
          - am I being over-cautious?
          - How would this impact me in terms of IR35?
          - why can't BT get it?
          - Doesn't anyone think that things like this in life aren't easy for the travelling contractor?

To which I could certainly offer replies:
          - are you being cautious? are we supposed to deduce in what way?
          - Not at all I shouldn't think
          - if they can't get it, it's because you haven't explained it clearly enough. If they simply don't want to offer what you want to buy from them, that's not BT not getting it.
          - If I thought life was impossibly difficult for a travelling contractor, I'd be a permie.

I know how helpful you must find this, but what do you really want to know? Seriously, do BT not get it, or do they just not want the business from you that you want to give them?

Comment

Hey I'm in a Swindon man who also work away during the week (mostly). My flat is in London.

I'm not quite sure I understand your problem.

I simply had BT put a line in my London flat and the bills go there. I guess you want to have this with your company name on. I didn't bother. What's £10 or £20 a month these days? Just paid for it out of my own pocket.

Comment

Working...
            X